Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting designs from Fusion 360

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
rupert.rawnsley
2145 Views, 10 Replies

Exporting designs from Fusion 360

A360 is storing my Fusion 360 designs and I want to export them to share with project partners. In A360, when I go to Export, I can select the format I need (DWG) and launch the process, but after that nothing happens. Is it supposed to download straight away or do I have to go somewhere to find it?

Most of the formats I need (like STEP) I can export "locally" from Fusion 360, but DWG isn't supported in this way and to be converted in the cloud.

Tags (3)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Hi Rupert, sorry for the issue you're having currently.

I'm going to move this over to our Fusion Forum so that we can get that team to engage right away for you regarding the question that you have here.

If you don't here back from them in a timely fashion feel free to ping me back directly at first.last@autodesk.com to let me know.
Thanks,
Brett Wright
Community Manager
Message 3 of 11

Rupert,

One thing i did want to try and clarify is if you're looking to be able to download as a DWG, or, is it just that you can't find your exported files after you've downloaded them, ie. where they went on your computer?

1. DWG as NOT an export option that is available today, (only IGES, SAT, STEP, SMT and F3D, however, if this is something important that you feel would be a great idea, please post it in the Fusion Ideastation so that it can be voted upon by others as well. (http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation-request-a/idb-p/125)

2. If you're just looking for where the file went, you should be able to define where you want to send it via folder location on your computer. (see below)

Thanks, and let us know if this is not the question(s) that you're asking about.

Fusion export question.png

Thanks,
Brett Wright
Community Manager
Message 4 of 11

Thanks for the detailed reply. I appreciate DWG isn't an export option from the Fusion 360 desktop client, actually I'm trying to export from A360 as follows:

1. Go to my Dashboard at https://myhub.autodesk360.com
  2. Go to the Data tab and find my design file, which is a Fusion 360 design
  3. Click the Tools icon (satchel) and select Export
  4. Change the format to DWG
  5. Click the [Export] button
  6. I am returned to the Data page, but no download begins.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: rupert.rawnsley

I have tried this tonight but no joy.

Am I missing something, could you show us in a video?

I have chosen to use Autodesk for prototype designing but it will no use if I cant export a CNC or 3D print file.

My main need tis to export DWG or DXF when I get to the export tab I am not seeing the DWG or DXF but you are right?

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Doesn't CAM software supports reading STEP files? I have a MasterCam v9 in my workplace and it seem to be able to read STEP files no problem.
Message 7 of 11
rupert.rawnsley

the most common formats for CNC or 3D printing are things like STEP and STL; these are well supported by both the web-based A360 interface and the desktop Fusion 360 client - nothing to worry about there. I am using DWG as a lingua franca between Fusion 360 and my manufacturer, who needs to make design changes and send them back to me for review.

For clarity, here are the dialogs I see:

Screen Shot 2014-10-15 at 09.17.14.png

...then...

Screen Shot 2014-10-15 at 09.17.47.png

...but once I press the Export button, the dialog disappears and nothing else happens.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: rupert.rawnsley

Oh I see so you have a DWG file to begin with. I have STEP, IGS and STP files to begin with but have no way to convert to DWG which is what my CNC'er friend wants from me.

Message 9 of 11
schneik-adsk

You should see a dwg appear in the activity feed of the project where you did the export. You should also see a comment that this dwg was exported from some design. you can download the dwg from the activity feed.

You may also want to try public link. it allows you to send a link to your cnc shop and they can download the file in the format they want and save you the trouble.

Kevin Schneider
Message 10 of 11

@Am I looking in the right place? A360 > Dashboard > All Projects > project name

Message 11 of 11

I saved a copy of the project and repeated the export, this time it worked. My project must have got into a funny state, perhaps because it started as an SMB file import?

The preview rendering has also started working in A360, so I suspect these two problems had the same root cause.

Might I humbly suggest some sort of message to the user of where to expect the export to appear? Currently there are no clues whatsoever.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report