Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connexxion 3D Mouse - Is this reliable?

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
sanguish
2025 Views, 29 Replies

Connexxion 3D Mouse - Is this reliable?

I've wanted one for a long time, I can see where it would be very useful.

But, I've heard intermittent issues with it.

So, is it stable on the Mac?

Worth the $80? (since I have to buy a 40 mouse otherwise anyways)

29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
vaclav_prchlik
in reply to: sanguish

I'm using SpaceTraveler3 (discontinued model) with Fusion 360 on Mac (10.10.1) and I'm pretty happy with it.

Space Mouse.jpg

But please keep in mind, that is is not a replacement of a standard mouse. It is a device dedicated to 3D space movements and rotations. You may need to spend additional money for a "normal" mouse as well.

Thanks,

Vasek

Message 3 of 30
macmanpb

Hi sanguish

The 3dconnexion SpaceNavigator is only usable with the .com version of Fuson360. The AppStore version has problems to use the driver. Smiley Wink

With the .com version it is a awesome working experience. Absolutly smooth no stalling.

Tags (2)
Message 4 of 30
sachlene.singh
in reply to: macmanpb

@macmanpb , that is absolutely correct.

There are a few things that do not work with the Mac App store version of Fusion. The 3D Mouse is one of those, and trackpad gestures is another.

@sanguish  - The 3D Mouse works beautifully with the .com versions of Fusion both on the Mac and Windows and is quite a handy little device.

It does look like the pricing on these has gone up to about $75 - $80. If I remember correctly, these were previously about $50. 

I hope this helps,

-Sachlene
Message 5 of 30
Oceanconcepts

I've been using the basic Space Navigator for a while, and would find it very difficult to work without it- that may be it's biggest drawback, you will become dependent on it... I still see a little hesitation in me Measure tool on my geriatric big screen iMac wit weak video. But nothing that is really a problem. I needed to turn the speed down to near the minimum. 

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 6 of 30
curtis.chan

Hello Sanguish,

In agreement with the rest of the users here,  I find that having a SpaceMouse makes the experience with Fusion 360 a lot more fluid.  I'm using the SpaceMouse Wireless, and it's one of the best investments I made.

Best

Message 7 of 30
fredsi
in reply to: curtis.chan

Somewhere in the last update or two, the 'Radial Menus' for the SpaceMouse Wireless were enabled. Big thanks to whoever was responsible.

Fred

Message 8 of 30
TrippyLighting

I have a Space Navigator and it works smooth as butter on my mid 2010 i7 iMac on OSX Yosemite.
Peter Doering
Message 9 of 30
AbdnAllHope

On OSX the Space Navigator works as advertised.  The Space Mouse Pro does not recognaize any custom settings from system preferences.  You are stuck with the default actions.  Any buttons that do not have a default action will not work inside of Fusion.  Re Assigning buttons using system prefs has no effect.

Button 1 is set to virtual num pad.  

Buttons 2,3, and 4 are pretty much useless since there is no default and they won't accept system prefs.  

All the other buttons work as advertised as long as you like the default settings.  

phil

Message 10 of 30
Oceanconcepts
in reply to: AbdnAllHope

As an update to my older post above, the recent versions of Fusion have fixed any hesitation I saw previously in the Measure tool. The Space Navigator works perfectly as far as general navigation. Phil's comments about the lack of button functionality or assignability would favor the cheaper, basic version, which is what I have- I'm very happy with it. 

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 11 of 30
AbdnAllHope
in reply to: Oceanconcepts

I think the fusion team can fix the buttons.

Having CTRL, ALT, SHIFT, and ESC on the Space Mouse Pro is very handy.  Hardly ever have to touch the keyboard.  All the snap to view buttons are also very quick.  

I've used, loved, and would still recommend the Space Navigator to ANYONE.  If you've never had or used one, then start with that.  Looking to upgrade Space Mouse Pro is very nice.

Doing 3d without a 3d connexion mouse is kind of like doing 2d without a wacom tablet.

phil

Message 12 of 30
EdDRM
in reply to: sachlene.singh

I am thinking of buying a 3Dconnexion product (SpaceNavigator,SpaceMouse Pro,CadMouse,SpacePilot Pro) I am running Fusion 360 Ultimate on a Windows 7 machine. Are there any issues that would make me rethink this idea. Also what is a .com version?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Ed

P.S. Fusion 360 is awesome. 🙂

Message 13 of 30
AbdnAllHope
in reply to: EdDRM

You should be good to go with SpaceMouse Pro or Space Navigator on Windows but someone else who is running Windows 7 will need to confirm.

SpaceMouse Pro has some known issues with OSX.

OSX has 2 versions of F360.  One you purchase, download, and update through the Mac App Store, and one you purchase, download, and update through AutoDesk.com

3D mice do not currently work if you are using the app store version of F360.

As far as I know Windows only has a .com version.

The readme file will have the most up to date info on compatability.

Message 14 of 30
EdDRM
in reply to: AbdnAllHope

Thank you AbdnALLHope

There is allways hope.
God bless,

Ed
Message 15 of 30
CGPM

Been using a Navigator for a year now on my Win7 machine, no issues, can't think of working without it.  Since 3dconnexion is a Logitec company their wireless version may work with your other Logitec devices receiver. 

Message 16 of 30
burnandreturn

I am using a Space Pilot Pro with Fusion and it works great.  Having the different views available with just a push of a button on the SPP saves a lot of hand movements.  The same with the esc., ctrl, alt. and shift buttons.  I also have a Space Navigator that I use with my laptop.

I would feel very crippled if I had to do without either one.

Message 17 of 30
LibertyMachine

As others have mentioned, it works wonderful. I run a Win7 PC, F360 Ultimate and I've got the 3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator I bought from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/3Dconnexion-3DX-700028-SpaceNavigator-3D-Mouse/dp/B000LB7G00/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF...

I can't imagine designing and programming without it, which can be a problem if you end up on a machine that doesn't have one.....

Left button is programmed to "Fit All" which zooms out and right button is "CTRL" so I can select multiple features as I'm programming CAM.

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.
Message 18 of 30
EdDRM
in reply to: LibertyMachine

Ok Sounds like I need one. I just need to decide wich one. I read that the buttons on the Spacepilot pro are not as good as the ones on the Spacemouse pro.The spacepilot pro has a few more buttons and a little screen.Not sure if I would use all the buttons or the screen tho.Has anyone used both?

Thank you all for the feed back.

Fusion Rocks,

Ed

Message 19 of 30
burnandreturn

I use the Space Pilot Pro and find all the buttons work perfect.   I use a lot of them in different programs.  It is easily programmed to use Keyboard shortcuts.   Too bad Fusion doesn't have keyboard shortcuts!

Message 20 of 30
EdDRM
in reply to: burnandreturn

What do use the display for? I think if I'm spending the money I should get the one with all the bells and whistles.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report