Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling all Wacom users

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
secorw
2167 Views, 17 Replies

Calling all Wacom users

Over the course of the Fusion 360 beta we've seen quite a few people using Wacom tablets as the primary method for interacting with their design tools (Rhino, Zbrush, etc).

Anyone interested in providing feedback on our Wacom support for Fusion 360 please post to this thread and we'll get you set you up with a build.  Would love to hear your thoughts.  Thanks!

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: secorw

Is there anything new? The lack of a non-scroll zoom option pretty much killed Fusion for me, since I don't have easy access to a scroll wheel on my Wacom (yes, it has a scroll wheel, but I don't have my hands near it). Has that been fixed yet?

Message 3 of 18
tomwikberg

I'm interested in testing your wacom support for Fusion 360.

I would love to see some support for wacom touch, so you can zoom, pan and rotate the view with the touchpad.

It would be nice to be able to draw splines in a sketch, like in sketchbook designer.

Message 4 of 18
kat.ingalls
in reply to: tomwikberg

Thanks, Tom! Did Will already reach out to you? He should be able to get you set up. 

Kat

Fusion 360 Social & Community Manager
twitter: @adskFusion360
facebook: /fusion360
Message 5 of 18
adam.molnar.1

I use my Intuos 3 on OSX 10.8.3 and flawlessly working with Fusion360. I set the modifier keys to the Wacom's express keys and a zoom to the touch strip like the most other applications too. Faster and smoother the work with it.

Message 6 of 18
tomwikberg
in reply to: kat.ingalls

Haven't heard from Will.

Message 7 of 18
kat.ingalls

Hey Tom! Looks like our product team is a little swamped at the moment... Working on getting you access ASAP. Thanks so much for your patience!
Kat

Message 8 of 18
secorw

Hi Tom,

Sending you a PM,
Message 9 of 18
leifmariussen

Using Wacom intous 5 here and coming from "sculpting" zoom seems to be the one feature I spend most time faffing around with. Ideally for me it would work with right-click + alt+shift type keyboard combinations so I can keep both my pen and hand on the model at all times. Even using the touchstrip seems slower by comparison to my normal type modeling workflow. Coming from Modo here so am a little spoiled 🙂

Message 10 of 18
CyberJenni

I'm interested in testing Fusion360 with my Wacom Ituos 5.

- Jenni

Jenni O'Connor
Senior User Experience Designer - Smart Data - Rendering - 3ds Max
Message 11 of 18
tdtwohy
in reply to: CyberJenni

If you need more users.

I would welcome some alternatives to the track pad... and have a Wacom tablet.

Track pad is a bit fiddly and my old hands would otherwise benefit from an old-fashioned "chording" set-up to reduce cross talk.

wacom might be nicer, more practical option for other users.

Message 12 of 18
kat.ingalls
in reply to: tdtwohy

Great to hear you guys are interested! Love my Intuos 5. 🙂 Will should be reaching out to you to get you set up.

Kat

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous

Hello. I use my Wacom Intuos 3 for all most everything, including modeling/drawing in Inventor. I am looking forward to trying it out in Fusion 360 and would like to participate.

Message 14 of 18
JeffreyMcGrewBWC

Big problem I've had with my Wacom & Fusion 360 is Direct Entry when sketching.

The fact that Fusion 360 'cancels' your direct entry if you move the mouse even a tiny bit makes it such that Sketching isn't much fun.

I can't pick a point, move my mouse a direction, then just type in '5' and hit return or click like I do in all the other Autodesk products.

I've gotten so used to using direct entry in this way with Revit, Inventor, and AutoCAD that I'm wondering why it's even different in Fusion 360.

Or at least as to why it's so touchy. If the 'move to cancel' distance was over a half-inch of screen real esate then it would work just fine! It's just that even the tiniest movement screws it up, so it's impossible to use!

Message 15 of 18
perigonza

Hi!

Let me express my ideas on what I can see in the pen/touch world.

I use a variety of software for my work, ranging from Illustrator/photoshop/painter 2D programs to Rhino and Blender for 3D or Premiere/AE for video. I use a wacom intuos 5 touch and a trackball mouse in my desktop environment depending on the software I'm using.

The point is, right now I'm looking to the new laptops like the Sony Vaio Fit&Flip which are appearing lately and whose specs make them look as a good workstation (15" super HD screen, i7, 16GB ram, dedicated 2GB video card, 1TB HDD + 16GB SD). I believe this are sort of dream machines in the sense that might be the perfect replacement for my desktop. But then it comes the real dealbreaker. In the case of the Fit&Flip, the digitizer is not wacom but Ntrig, and that gives lots of compatibility issues with some of the software (actually most of it ...) to a point in which it becomes useless.

So, here my first thought, think on that kind of devices, there are going to be plenty of them very soon as Ntrig is getting more and more popular in between manufacturers (price is a factor in that I believe).

That being said, from a users point of view, that is what I would love to see in pen/touch enabled software.

Full support for multitouch. That is an obvious advantage of that sort of devices, all your navigation can be made by touch, thus improving greatly the feeling of the space. Something like pinch to zoom, twist fingers to rotate view and so on.

Although there is a right mouse button on most the pens themselves, it is not very comfortable to use (at least for me) so minimizing/optimizing it would be great. As for the center button, I believe touch will be the right substitution.

Then for the keyboard. When you use such a device in tablet mode you have no access to a keyboard which makes it almost useless. I believe some sort of onscreen quick access to modifiers keys (ctrl, alt, shift, space and so) would be all that is needed and would be an easy solution for that which most software is missing. Sort of the wacom on-screen menu but software based (instead of hardware based as is their case). Right now it comes to mind something like a hot corner with a button you can put your finger  which will open a graphic menu with the (customizable) modifiers. You then just slide your finger to the one you want and apply the command. Or a radial menu of some sort ... just thinking out loud.

The UI should be updated for pen input. I can think of just different custom workspaces for different configurations. One for pure pen input, one for trackpad + kybd, one regular ... The idea being to make commands easily accessible by pen/finger input.

For numerical inputs I think some sort of calculator 'gadget' that can be used for both calculations and input, that would be of great help. Something you can have onscreen and move/resize/minimize  where you need it. You can make any calculations needed at the moment and then send it to the comand requiring it by pussing a button.

To me, that will make for the perfect combination of convenience and power as I would be able to work in perfect conditions on most places, ranging form my formal desktop to the train, a cafe and even the couch. I've been dreaming on that day for close to 30 years now ... and I hope the moment is arriving 🙂

Just my two cents ...

Pedro

Message 16 of 18
kat.ingalls
in reply to: perigonza

Hey Pedro! Welcome to the community. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I'm a wacom fangirl myself (background in graphic arts) and would love to be able to use my tablet with Fusion. You've got some great, very concrete recommendations. Have you been to the IdeaStation, where feature requests are shared? By sharing your ideas there, other users can vote on them & our product team is working hard to implement to top community-voted feature requests. Would highly recommended sharing some of your suggestions there!

Thanks again

Kat

Message 17 of 18
perigonza
in reply to: kat.ingalls

Hi Kat!

Just seen that one, sorry for not answering before ...

Sure, no problem. I'll do a cut/paste in there. It is good to feel welcome 🙂

Pedro
Message 18 of 18
tarjeik

I don't currently own a Wacom tablet, but I'm considering plunking down cash for a Intuos Pro as it seems like a great alternative to using a mouse. What's the current status on Wacom tablet support in F360?

I've searched the forums and the release notes, and I've noticed people are having problems with:

1. direct input of dimensions
  2. zoom/rotate/pan using gestures on the tablet (pinch to zoom etc.).

What's the status on these issues? The release notes for the May 2014 update mention "Option to enable Wacom devices", but doesn't say much more on what this option provides.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report