Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bend twist unroll lattice

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
cekuhnen
1260 Views, 16 Replies

bend twist unroll lattice

Hi folks,

Would it be possible for a parametric modeler to include commands such as

lattice twist taper bend and also unroll?

For example in the image below you can see the blue lattice that I use to taper

and the white curve I use to bend the geometry along.

The far leftt model is the cad data the middle and right are sub-d rebuilds

Screen Shot 2015-04-13 at 7.48.10 AM.png

Would such modifiers be too CPU taxing for a parametric system?

I know Rhino Alias and such all have them but well never with a design history.

I am not sure about SolidThinking.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
bob_holland
in reply to: cekuhnen

Claas,

At the present time we are not able to do product the kind o f results that you are looking for.

We would like to but it will probably be a while.  (It is not on the road map at this time)

The best that we can probably do is an intersection of two profiles for a starting point.

Thank you.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 3 of 17
cekuhnen

Hi Bob

I assumed this might be a tough thing for a parametric modeler. But it would take fusion out of the gang of common workflow apps.

Thanks for the info I understand

Claas Kuhnen

Message 4 of 17
keqingsong

Hey Claas, 

This workflow isn't exactly what you're looking for, but will let you achieve the same results. 

Keqing Song
Autodesk Fusion Community Manager
Portland, Oregon, USA

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

Message 5 of 17
cekuhnen
in reply to: keqingsong

Hi Keqing,

This works pretty well, as long as the thickness remains the same. When the ends taper it gets a little more tricky also the length in your example changes.

But as I wrote a true parametric approach might be hard - thats why I use my trusted polygon sculpt workflow. That one might actually be something Fusion and TS should really look into.

After having finalized the proportions the design can then still be re-sketched via traditional solid/patch modeling tools.

In Alias it is pretty common to sometimes do some poly bakes defor those, study them and then go back and to it right with NURBS.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 6 of 17
malcolm.pearcey

Hi , 

Just watched your video as i am trying to learn the basics of modelling with a view to kayak design, unfortunatly kayaks are pretty much all compound curves , how can i proceed ? your video is fine for a curve in a single plane ?

Thanks

Malcolm 

Message 7 of 17
PhilProcarioJr

Solidworks can do this and keep design history so it's possible for parametric software to do it. Although I have no idea how hard it would be to implement. using @keqingsong method works visually but how would you get the length of the part correct for manufacturing? Even in sheet metal bends you need bend tables of the material used to get the proper lengths. Just curious as to how this could be done without the bend, stretch and compression data. 

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

Message 8 of 17

That fuctionality is available in Blender ( which Claas also uses frequently) , so should be possible at least in the T-Spline environment. The modifier Stackin Blender  as a lot of very useful tools that would be great to have in Fusion 360.

Peter Doering
Message 9 of 17
cekuhnen
in reply to: PhilProcarioJr

you bend or you dont - the rest are non optimal work arounds

Claas Kuhnen

Message 10 of 17
guilekubo

Hi, I designed a retilinear strip to unroll in the hand of the user, the strip is made of TPU, so it's flexibel and I need to put the strip in the assembly model to do some renders. Any one knows if I can do it with Fusion? 

Message 11 of 17
jhackney1972
in reply to: guilekubo

Pictures of what you are trying to achieve would be helpful.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 12 of 17
TrippyLighting

Can you perhaps explain what your design has to do with this topic?

Peter Doering
Message 13 of 17
guilekubo

I designed this strip flat, but it is flexible.

guilekubo_0-1654112617932.png

And I need to show it in the assembly model to render it, but I don't want to model another one in the final position.

guilekubo_1-1654112712182.png

The final position would be something like this 

guilekubo_2-1654112950470.png

And I need it to have the flat model so I can 3D print it flat with flexibel material.

Thanks for the help.

Message 14 of 17
guilekubo
in reply to: TrippyLighting

I saw the video above and in the video he says that we can't model something strait and after modeling make it curve, but that Autodesk was working on that.
Message 15 of 17
TrippyLighting

The best approach is actually to model this with a sheet metal workflow.

that way yo have a true representation of the flat and the bent shape. It's a bit long to explain, but there are numerous youtube tutorials available that show the technique.

Peter Doering
Message 16 of 17
guilekubo
in reply to: TrippyLighting

I tried it before I post my first question, but in that moment the software couldn't compute my spline whith flat ends in a flat pattern, but I will try it again modifying my sketch.

guilekubo_0-1654115172905.png

Thanks for the helping.

Message 17 of 17
jhackney1972

Here is what I gathered from your description.  The Screencast will explain what I did. To Flatten it simply drag the timeline marker one step to the left.  Model is attached.  If you need further explanation, let me know.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report