Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any 3D printing enthusiasts?

71 REPLIES 71
SOLVED
Message 1 of 72
kat.ingalls
2267 Views, 71 Replies

Any 3D printing enthusiasts?

I've been interested in 3D printing for a long time, but have never really had a chance to experiment. We just got a MakerBot Replicator 2 in the Autodesk Portland office, and I'm excited to get it set up and start using it! Especially with Fusion 360 🙂

I'm sure there's a lot of us that are 3D printing hobbiests. Would love to hear your experiences, any tips you have for a newbie, and definitely looking forward to seeing your 3D-printed creations in the gallery!

Kat

Fusion 360 Social & Community Manager
twitter: @adskFusion360
facebook: /fusion360
71 REPLIES 71
Message 61 of 72
nkloski
in reply to: kat.ingalls

Hi all...my name is Nick Kloski, and i am the co-fournder of HoneyBee3D, Northern California first (and as of right now) only dedicated retail 3D printing store.....I am happy to meet everyone here on this board, and also throw my hat into the ring of 3D printing enthusiasts here.  We have 4x printers in the store (with two more coming) and print a great number of things, as well as some high quality 3D scanners that we do a great number of projects with.  We recently used Fusion 360 to create some designs for our clients, and also are looking to use Fusion 360 for classes in the coming months.

If anyone out there is talented at Fusion and lives in the Bay Area, please reach out to me...we want to get this technology out to people to help advance this awesome industry!

We live 3D printing day in and out, so are happy to assist people here in the forum with questions, etc.

Thanks!

Nick

Nick Kloski
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 62 of 72
taylor.stein
in reply to: nkloski

Hey Nick, My name is Taylor Stein, and I am the Fusion 360 Evangelist here in San Francisco! I'm an avivd Fusion 360 user and 3D printing enthusiast with a background in Mechanical Engineering from UC Davis. That's awesome to hear what you're doing at HoneyBee3D, and I'd love to help you in any way possible. It would be great to chat on the phone, and even better to stop by HoneyBee3D to talk more in person. I'll send you a private message with my contact information, and I'm looking forward to see how I can help! 

Taylor Stein

Fusion 360 Evangelist
Message 63 of 72
kat.ingalls

Hey everyone! Just a quick question to see if anyone here is using a RepRap with Fusion? There's a question over on the RepRap forums about how others like using the two together. Would love to have the Fusion community chime in!

http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?267,319648,319648#REPLY

Kat

Fusion 360 Social & Community Manager
twitter: @adskFusion360
facebook: /fusion360
Tags (1)
Message 64 of 72
jonathbenz

Iam not aware of any magazines for 3D printing enthusiasts and I just would love to see the usual websites.

Brochure printing Singapore

Message 65 of 72
ktmadventurer

I have just bought my own personal UP! Mini and am using plain ol' basic AutoCAD.
It was so easy to set up and use and I've never had a problem with it.
The price has come down quite a bit and I got it for just under AUD800
I bought one for the school I was teaching at and the kids loved how easy it was to print an object they had been working on in class. I used it as a "carrot" and I found their classroom engagement was excellent.
I'm trying to learn Inventor Professional and then switch to that for designing all the gadgets I have in mind.

I use Thingyverse, ShapeWays and MyMinFactory for inspiration.

I also read 3dprintingindustry.com every day!

Message 66 of 72
Drafter1981
in reply to: adamohern

Thanks for the info....

Milt Fitzgerald (a.k.a. Drafter1981)
Fitz’ Digital Cad Service L.L.C. (Consulting Business)
https://sites.google.com/site/fitzdigitalcadservice/
Message 67 of 72
Drafter1981

OK..

So it looks like I've stumbled onto the right area to ask questions about 3D printing.

I have not had a chance to read through every post so if I ask a question that has been addressed or answered already please excuse my redundancy.

Right now I’m in a class with a new 3D printer (The Makerbot Replicator 2X). Since this is new technology being used at the college, just about everyone at school has a lot of questions.

One issue that came up is the use of the scanner. 1st of all the IT group at the college has not figured how to get anything, the scanner, or the 3D printer online, or configured.

2nd thing is the “Old School Approach” of working with the new hardware or software.What I mean simply is that we are being told to create a model “The Old Fashion Way”

1st in order to use the scanner. We would then scan the item, or project and then the scanner would “recreate” our clay, or foam-rubber model in the printer.

To me, this is a redundant step unless the instructors are just trying to give the student an idea of what it really takes to get an idea or product made.

This sounds like what we use to do when I was teaching AutoCAD meaning,

before we would let the student use the computer, we really would make them do a drawing by using a drafting board with “T-Squares” and “Straight Edges”.

I could be wrong but in this instance I believe this step is unnecessary.  I think it would be a better use of time to tech or show the student how to convert the CAD file into a working 3D model,

and teach them the correct file format to use.

Any thoughts, information or help would be appreciated.

Thanks and Take care,

Message 68 of 72
Milt-Fitz

Just Adding myselfy (via the office email) to the post, or thread...

Siemens Industries (Full-Time Office Position)
Message 69 of 72
gr4eme
in reply to: Milt-Fitz

Screen Shot 2014-09-19 at 15.34.12.pngIMG_5768.jpegIMG_1833.jpegIm using Fusion 360 with my printrbot, im exporting the STL to repetier and using slicer to generate the gcode at the moment. Here is a little piece i created to repair a shower screen as the part is obsolete

Message 70 of 72
JDMather

I have a few machines.   Smiley Happy 

3D Printing.PNG

Print hundreds of parts every semester.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/matherj%20diss.pdf

Vacuum.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 71 of 72
tarjeik
in reply to: JDMather

Certainly, 3D printing is what lead me to Fusion in the first place 🙂 Below is a fan duct for a radial fan designed in F360 and printed on my Ord Bot Hadron which is receiving constant upgrades as I go along. Exported to STL from Fusion, sliced with KISSlicer and printed with Repetier Host (yes, the tool chain could certainly become simpler...) I'm also in the early stages of designing a new CoreXY based printer from scratch in F360. We'll see how it goes 🙂

F360 design

Printed part, side

Printed part, side

The big 80mm fan which is jury rigged on the left edgeis one of two fans being replaced here.

Tags (1)
Message 72 of 72
Drafter1981
in reply to: tarjeik

O.K.....
So here is what has been going on since getting into the 3D printing world (refer to links):

Video:

3D Printing, October 21st, 2014, Video Update

Photos:

3D Printing Project-01

A synopsis that I'm putting together for the college will follow at a later date

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report