Rinkwraith

Re: Any 3D printing enthusiasts?

04-02-2013 08:42 AM in reply to: kat.ingalls

So far, my only 3D printing experience has been with a part I created in Fusion.

Unfortunately, the expiration of the Fusion program and move to 360 came as a complete shock to me when I tried to finish my second part for 3D printing this morning. :smileysad: 

But on the plus side, I got great results first time around and am expecting much the same again when I get back up and running again. Hopefully Fusion 360 is as good and reliable as the previous version - don't really want to go to a competitor.

Using Shapeways btw - but I think I'll look into getting my own 3D printer soon - realistically, between their profits and shipping charges, I'm going to end up spending a fortune so might as well get my own gear. :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Active Contributor
LeonMF

04-02-2013 05:12 PM in reply to: kat.ingalls

I've been using my office Thing-O-Matic while I wait for my Robo 3D to be built.  

One issue that has carried over from the Inventor Fusion (Mac) product is that the product doesn't seem to generate correct STL when fixed joints are involved.  FreeCAD opens my file just fine but Replicator G just shows one of the sides of the joint.  I've fixed this in the past by loading into FreeCAD, entering edit mode and then re-saving the file.

I don't know if this is a flaw in the, now obsolete, ReplicatorG or F360.

Please use plain text.
*Expert Elite*
cekuhnen

04-02-2013 06:04 PM in reply to: Rinkwraith

Rinkwraith wrote:

Using Shapeways btw - but I think I'll look into getting my own 3D printer soon - realistically, between their profits and shipping charges, I'm going to end up spending a fortune so might as well get my own gear. :smileyvery-happy:

Very true with the price of desktop 3D printers they make sense to buy when you print a lot. Shapeways is great because they offer many print and cast option.

Please use plain text.
*Expert Elite*
cekuhnen

04-02-2013 07:40 PM in reply to: LeonMF

LeonMF wrote:

FreeCAD opens my file just fine but Replicator G just shows one of the sides of the joint.  I've fixed this in the past by loading into FreeCAD, entering edit mode and then re-saving the file.

FreeCAD is quite an interesting project - while quite buggy and lacking many surfacing features. However their drawing/sketch and feature system works surprisingly well.

Please use plain text.
Active Contributor
LeonMF

04-03-2013 07:35 AM in reply to: cekuhnen

cekuhnen wrote:

FreeCAD is quite an interesting project - while quite buggy and lacking many surfacing features. However their drawing/sketch and feature system works surprisingly well.

I've never used FreeCAD for design as the Fusion interface made more sense to me and I couldn't keep FC running for more than a few minutes at a time but it has helped me make an STL printable!

Please use plain text.
*Expert Elite*
cekuhnen

04-03-2013 09:15 AM in reply to: LeonMF

FreeCAD is propably the most crash prone software I know :smileywink:

Did you ever try NetFAbb to fix STL models? The basic version is free.

Please use plain text.
Active Contributor
LeonMF

04-03-2013 10:06 AM in reply to: cekuhnen

cekuhnen wrote:

FreeCAD is propably the most crash prone software I know :smileywink:

Did you ever try NetFAbb to fix STL models? The basic version is free.

I didn't even know it existed.  I'll try it on my next print!

Please use plain text.
*Expert Elite*
cekuhnen

04-03-2013 10:09 AM in reply to: LeonMF

I found it very usefull as it can perform many mesh repair functions (fill holes naked edges shells etc ...)

If you dont know about it you should take a look at it.

Please use plain text.
Alumni
kat.ingalls

04-03-2013 11:31 AM in reply to: Rinkwraith

You mean Inventor Fusion? You should still be able to use and access the software... Hope that helps with any hiccups! Glad to hear your transition to Fusion 360 seems to be going smoothly, though! And thanks for the rad loyalty :smileywink:

Did you see this Kickstarter project?
10x10x10 printer for $200. Or were you looking to build a custom printer?

Kat

Fusion 360 Social & Community Manager
twitter: @adskFusion360
facebook: /fusion360
Please use plain text.
Rinkwraith

04-04-2013 12:39 AM in reply to: kat.ingalls

I was just going to buy one of the £500 ones you can get "off the shelf" now, but that Kickstarter looks very interesting. Specs look good enough for me at first glance so I'm going back there as soon as I finish typing this to take another look. :smileyhappy: Thanks for posting.

On the Inventor Fusion thing: it seemed to be completely dead. I tried for a while but it just kept reporting (on all of my machines at home and at work) that a license couldn't be obtained. That was when I learned that Fusion had been made obsolete in favour of this 360 beta. So I uninstalled it - perhaps hastily.

I'll admit I was a little annoyed, but my beta application got processed pretty quickly and I really don't mind shifting to a new product and giving feedback. As soon as the installer download gets fixed, I'm sure all will be fine. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.