Alumni
kat.ingalls
Accepted Solution

Any 3D printing enthusiasts?

1119 Views, 71 Replies
03-28-2013 03:27 PM

I've been interested in 3D printing for a long time, but have never really had a chance to experiment. We just got a MakerBot Replicator 2 in the Autodesk Portland office, and I'm excited to get it set up and start using it! Especially with Fusion 360 :smileyhappy:

I'm sure there's a lot of us that are 3D printing hobbiests. Would love to hear your experiences, any tips you have for a newbie, and definitely looking forward to seeing your 3D-printed creations in the gallery!

Kat

Fusion 360 Social & Community Manager
twitter: @adskFusion360
facebook: /fusion360
Please use plain text.
*Expert Elite*
cekuhnen

Re: Any 3D printing enthusiasts?

03-31-2013 09:28 AM in reply to: kat.ingalls

Hi there,

I use 3D printing from time to time for jewelry and product design.

Here is a recent project I did. Sculpted with subdivision surface modeling and then printed via ShapeWays.

This is great that this type of technology is getting so affordable now.

SNAP.jpg

Please use plain text.
*Expert Elite*
big_red_frog

03-31-2013 05:27 PM in reply to: cekuhnen

I have been running a replicator 2 since Christmas as purely a home hobby interest.

I had been using inventor fusion ( since migrating from 123D beta 9 ) as my modelling package, and now looking to make the shift to Fusion 360 with the inventor fusion beta expiring on windows :-(

Please use plain text.
*Expert Elite*
cekuhnen

03-31-2013 07:03 PM in reply to: big_red_frog

So how is your impression of it? How is the print quality and detail level of that new replicator 2?

Please use plain text.
Employee
michaelpgeyer

03-31-2013 07:46 PM in reply to: cekuhnen
We just got a replicator 2 for the Autodesk office here and are going to get it set up this week. Any advice on setup or best practices for using it with Fusion 360?

Mike Geyer
Please use plain text.
Contributor
adamohern

04-01-2013 08:11 AM in reply to: michaelpgeyer

Yeah, I got my Rep2 a month or two ago, and I've definitely found that there's a learning curve.

1) Make sure it's in a temperature-stable area, preferably 70F or higher. Don't blow fans on it or put it near open windows. Temperature gradients inside the build area can lead to warping and delamination.

2) Use the blue painters' tape that comes with the machine, and buy a few rolls to use thereafter. You can re-use the tape until it starts to tear up with use; no reason to replace it with each build. Using the tape aids adhesion to the build plate and helps prevent the first layer from peeling back--a surefire way to ruin your prints.

3) Make sure to design your parts so that there is a large flat area at the bottom. Even if you plan to remove it later, the flat area (known as a 'raft') will aid adhesion. Don't use the Makerware's built-in 'raft' feature, because this doesn't always stick well to the build plate. A single .25mm (i.e. one layer at Medium res) solid chunk at the base of your part will suffice.

4) You'll need a pair of needle-nose pliers near the machine for removing build supports, and a palette knife to separate parts from the build plate. I have a painter's knife that works brilliantly.

5) The extruder can bridge over taps of 2cm or less without much difficulty, so keep that in mind when deciding whether or not to build 'supports' into your print. Supports are indespensible at times, but if you can get away without using them the prints will often be much cleaner. A little planning while still in CAD land is a big help.

6) Be sure to tighten the X and Y motor couplings before you use the machine and frequently thereafter. If your prints are leaning to one side or another or you're seeing unexpected tolerance problems, this is likely the problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76XaGlyG0Z0

7) Be sure to lubricate the X-pulley frequently by adding grease and then jostling the belt back and forth. The grease quickly gets squeezed out, and a sticky pulley can mess up your prints. If the printer starts squeaking at you, that's probably the issue. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP47vjSZQtA

8) I found that the Makerware 'Medium' quality setting is fast, but quite poor quality. The 'High' quality setting is incredibly slow, but better. My compromise is to keep the quality preset on 'Medium' but crank the thread size down to .1mm (rather than the default .27mm), and up the number of walls to 3. That seems to work beautifully for most prints, and it slices much faster than the 'High' resolution setting.

Good luck!

Please use plain text.
Alumni
kat.ingalls

04-01-2013 02:45 PM in reply to: cekuhnen

Agreed, such an exciting time. :smileyhappy: How did you find working with ShapeWays? Was it a pretty easy process? I love their site, but have never used their services before.

Kat

Please use plain text.
Alumni
kat.ingalls

04-01-2013 02:50 PM in reply to: adamohern

Wow, Adam - awesome advice!! Thanks so much for taking the time to share those tips. Will definitely put them to good use. Really insightful suggestion about quality vs. filament size. We have the 1.75mm to start... wonder how that will turn out. :smileywink: Can't wait to get started!

Have you tried printing anything built in Fusion yet? And big_red_frog, looking forward to hearing how Fusion 360 compares to Inventor Fusion for 3D printing!

Thanks again for the awesome tips :smileyhappy:

Kat

Please use plain text.
*Expert Elite*
big_red_frog

04-01-2013 04:21 PM in reply to: kat.ingalls

Will be trying the basic workflow shortly. Now I can get my legacy .dwg in, going to tweak a file, and see if I can successfully export to watertight .stl and slice away...

Please use plain text.
*Expert Elite*
cekuhnen

04-01-2013 05:03 PM in reply to: big_red_frog

What ever can create polygon meshes should produce well working STL files. I send models to Shapeways made in Rhino, Alias and also a lot from Blender. My last jewelry project was a pure Blender modeling and it all worked out fine.

Of course how good the export STL mesher is can decide matters and Rhino sometimes uhm ja ...

Shapeways service is pretty easy like Amazin. Upload file (make sure your mesh is water tight and has no issues - you can use Netfabb for that), select material, hit print, pay, wait, open mail package : enjoy !

Please use plain text.