Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YOSEMITE and SMOKE 2015 SP3 (perpetual license)

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
Anonymous
1978 Views, 23 Replies

YOSEMITE and SMOKE 2015 SP3 (perpetual license)

Hi,

I have downloaded my Service Pack 3 of Autodesk(r) Smoke(r) 2015 (perpetual license).

Before I install this i was thinking of upgrading my O.S to Yosemite (currently on mountain lion 10.7 pre mavericks drama)..

Any thoughts or experiences with these 2?

Is Yosemite supported on Smoke? Even on desktop?

Thanks in advance guys.

Matt

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

the perpetual license of smoke 2015 has no support for osx 10.10., but i have not tested it.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/flame-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/...

Message 3 of 24
pjkw

Ive used 2015 SP2 on Yosemite with no immediate problems, that said I haven't used it alot so there might be issues I just haven't come across yet

Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: pjkw

Hi,

Any updates from anyone (primarily autodesk) regarding my original post regarding compatibility?

Thanks,

Matt

Message 5 of 24
jamesgrean

I was advised by an AD tech when installing Smoke P 2015 SP2 several months ago that I should upgrade to Yosemite as it ran better than Mavericks with Smoke.
No problems so far, though every time I have had to install (3 times now, on different machines) it's a major pain in the ****, though that's nothing to do with the OS version, just Smoke not being very easy to set up, no matter how many times you do it.

Message 6 of 24
truss7

Matt,

I'm running sp2 on Yosemite 10.10 at home and it's much much better than on mavericks. Having said that I haven't smashed it on a really really big batch build yet. So far so good though. If you're on mavericks now it's definitely an improvement.

Truss

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: truss7

Thanks for your help Truss.

Happy new year by the way.

Matt

Message 8 of 24
sebastien_leclercq

Any update concerning Yosemite and Smoke 2015 SP3 (perpetual license)?

Also does Yosemite have the same problems that users were talking about concerning Smoke running on an iMac Fusion Drive on Mavericks?

Thanks 🙂

Message 9 of 24
truss7
in reply to: sebastien_leclercq

I haven't encountered the same issues with my fusion drive. The system
seems far more responsive than under mavericks. So far it seems to run
fine. That is however only my home system and whilst I've done some major
comping on it I haven't run a really big job so there may still be niggles
I haven't discovered.

That is Smoke 2015 SP2 perpetual.

Jon Trussler
VFX Artist
t: 020 7734 3299
m: 07973 601946
www.coffeeand.tv
Message 10 of 24
sebastien_leclercq
in reply to: truss7

Thanks truss7!

Are you running it on 10.10 or 10.10.1 ?

Message 11 of 24

I've used 10.10.1 with SP2 and SP3 no problems on some massive jobs. Well, except for the famous BB errors we all get on every OS and every version.

Stay away from Fusion Drives. To really use Smoke you need the external RAID of some kind.

Message 12 of 24
ryan

Where can I get a download link to my Smoke 2015 SP3 update?  I missed that notice, if it was sent.  Please don't tell me the Subscription Center because that site just returns a bunch of javascript errors when I log in.

Thanks,

Ryan

Message 13 of 24
lynn_zhang
in reply to: ryan

Hi @ryan 

Just replied you in your other post. You can find the direct download link on Smoke 2015 for Mac OS X Service Pack 3.

Lynn Zhang
Community Manager

Message 14 of 24
ryan

I've extensively used 2015 SP2 on Yosemite.  The only problem I noticed with a slight chance of being OS related is the application would take up to 10-15 minutes to close, due to some issue with uninitializing action.  You can find my thread about this in my posting history for this forum.  The issue was never resolved.

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: pjkw

Hey guys,

I'm having loads of problems with imac running Smoke 2015 SP3, with new logic cards etc having not fixed my issues.

My system keeps powering down on its own, not turning any drives off, and not coming back up again. Also I'm seeing a lot of digital artefacts, blocking, not necessarily on the footage but all across the screen, for example on the CFX schematic view. My system has recently come back from apple with new logic card and after only a week it will not power on.

I'm wondering what system you are runninng your systems on at Coffee & TV?

I recently freelanced on a new mac pro running 2015 SP1, and that was giving me similar issues, and kept powering off too, as well as locking up and giving me no option but to hard reboot the machine to power back up.

I'm thinking of upgrading my 2013 imac to a mac pro on yosemite? Anybody got any issues or advice? 

All advice gratefully recieved.

Lem (Hero Post) 

lem@heropost.co.uk

Message 16 of 24
angus

Can anyone provide feedback on the stability of backburner under Yosemite? On the whole our SP2&3 experience on Mavericks hasn't been too bad, but we've had horrendous problems with Backburner freezing.

Has anyone used backburner extensively on Yosemite?

many thanks

Angus

Message 17 of 24
yann.laforest
in reply to: angus

Hi Angus,

Can we please have more details about what you call "Backburner freezing"?

What are the symptoms of the issues you encountered?

Regards,

Yann

Yann Laforest

Program Manager Data Analytics - Autodesk EMS
10 rue Duke Street
Montréal (Québec) Canada H3C 2L7
Message 18 of 24
angus
in reply to: yann.laforest

Hi Yann,

backburner frequently hangs on us, especially when we're exporting AAF files with corresponding media. It exports a number of the media files and then fails on several before freezing completely. At that point we need to open a browser, clear everything, restart the box and start again. It makes overnight exports impossible, which is a real bind for us.

thanks 

Angus

Message 19 of 24
yann.laforest
in reply to: angus

Hi Angus,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Investigation time on your workstation is going to be required in order to figure out what is going on.

Are you entitled to Technical Support assistance?

Please let me know,

Regards,

Yann

Yann Laforest

Program Manager Data Analytics - Autodesk EMS
10 rue Duke Street
Montréal (Québec) Canada H3C 2L7
Message 20 of 24
angus
in reply to: yann.laforest

Hi Yann,

Yes, we have a support contract. Our re-seller is XTFX in London. (TBF to James and his team, we're heard about so many Backburner elsewhere that we haven't really pressed them about it).

best

Angus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report