Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workflow with AAF import

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
431 Views, 1 Reply

Workflow with AAF import

I am trying to figure out a faster workflow for my project, any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am conforming an AAF sequence from Avid that references MXF Media. For my first finish, I conformed the AAF with link to original source, no caching. My sequence is 25 minutes and my delivery is a QuickTime with a DNXHD145 setting. The file is taking 45-55 minutes to export. There are 4-6 minor effects, but just mostly cuts on track 1.

I would like to figure out a way to speed up the export. Would consolidating the sequence speed up the process, or is that just to clean up the sequence?

If I cache the sequence when I conform to a ProRes422 setting, will that speed up the final export since the files will be QuickTime Prores 422 files versus MXF?
*update, I have been trying to cache the AAF upon import/conform, but every time the autosave kicks in, the caching stops and gives me the error of 'frame not found while reading source frames'. The system is beach balling and I have to force quit through service monitor. The MXF files that sequence is linking to are 4 long files - 30 gigs at about 27 minutes of media in the clip.

Also, can I cache a sequence once I've started working on it. Lets say I import an AAF (no caching, just linking) check the sequence, make fixes, and then decide to cache it. Will that work? I am thinking the caching process is like media manager/consolidate tool in FCP/Avid.

In the user preference, in Backburner->Job Priorities, I currently have the default set as Burn 50, Wire 50, cache 40, Export 10. Will adjusting those settings help my export or caching?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
BKM
Advisor
in reply to: Anonymous

I would Confrom your seq. --- Then consolidate it. (I believe you can also consolidate when you import the AAF) -- and then cache the sequence. 
Your export time seesm about right. I can export a :30 sec spot in about 2 mins. at DNxHD145. (Quicktime)

Not sure if the export will be any faster with the cache, but since it's frames on your framestore and not exporting via SAN or wherever your original media is. If it's all on the same storage... then I doubt you will see an speed increase in Export and you would have wasted time on doing the cache.

Adjusting the proiority setting in backburner won't do anything as they are just values that the Smoke what process to focus on when it has several background tasks to do.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report