Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the advisable level of subdivision for posing

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
219 Views, 5 Replies

What is the advisable level of subdivision for posing

Hi

Can anyone tel me at what level is it advisable to pose a model. Coz revently I posed at a high mesh level(level 6 subdivision) only to find out that there was a lot of distortion in the arms when i actually brought the model to a lower level after the posing.

Regards
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
FalconCrest
in reply to: Anonymous

I usually work with a maximum of 7 Million polygons at present.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

you mean to say that you pose your model at the heighest level(7 million)?
Message 4 of 6
A.Baroody

Pose your model on a layer at the base level.

A well made model requires good topology to capture deformation and form at the base level. Most artists will retopo their sculpt so that the base level is high polygon enough to deform well for animation.

Even if you're not doing it for animation its still desirable to pose it on the lowest level because that is the control cage of the model. It should dictate the movement of all of the major forms in the model. The smaller forms/displacements will follow the lower level deformation of the major forms.
Message 5 of 6
A.Baroody

I think he meant he sculpts models with 7 million polygons. I dont think he meant pose, as you were.

Btw mudbox posing tools are "ok" .. they are useful for sure, but nothing replaces the powerful rigging tools you have in your 3d animation program. You can import any deformation as a pose (shape) layer on the lowest level in mudbox.
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Dear Mr Baroody,

Thank you. It was helpful. I will keep it in mind in my future exploits.

Regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report