Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Card

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
carlosespinosa
554 Views, 4 Replies

Video Card

Hello there, and thanks in advance, the last week I switched my videocard for a brand new Nvidia K5000 and the system turned very slow, supposedly this card is better than the previous one (ati hd 5870), with the nvidia card I had to restart my system every two hours.

I went back to the ati video card, but I want to work with the nvidia card, what is wrong with this card?, The system has 48 gb in ram.

Now, I have another question, I moved some files from the original folder to another one, obviously smoke can't find it, there is a way to do a relink files in the new location?

Thank you guys, I really apreciate your help.

Carlos Espinosa

Carlos Espinosa
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
BKM
Advisor
in reply to: carlosespinosa

I am not sure it that is a recommended or supported card... the latest hardware specs don't list it as certified. 
What OS are you running?

in order to relink you need to select your edit (not your source clips) and unlink then conform and relink your clips back. 
If you have source clips in the library that aren't being referenced you need to just reimport them.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
Message 3 of 5
davidjahns
in reply to: carlosespinosa

I installed the K5000 a year ago in my 12-core Mac and it performs great - much better than the ATI stock card or a Quadro 4000.  I'm pretty sure it is officially supported - I'm pretty cautious in that regard, so I'm sure I either checked the hardware compatiblity page or heard from ADSK support that it was ok.  (The hardware page is often very slow to get updated with new versions of the OS, etc.)

I'm running 2015 Perepetual and Mac OS 10.8 - not sure which exact version at the moment, but it worked great for me since Day 1.

Do you have Resolve installed?  Or any other way to test the grfx card performance to see if it is a Smoke issue or a hardware issue?

Message 4 of 5
carlosespinosa
in reply to: BKM

Hi Brian, and thank you, my OS is 10.9.5 and smoke works perfect with that OS the only issue is when I change the video card, thanks for the relink tip.

CE
Carlos Espinosa
Message 5 of 5
carlosespinosa
in reply to: davidjahns

Hi David, I don't have Resolve installed, I went back to the ati video card and smoke works good so I'm assuming is the card, my OS is 10.9.5.

Thank you.

CE
Carlos Espinosa

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report