Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unrendering Q

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
ksirul
293 Views, 5 Replies

Unrendering Q

If I copy a rendered section of my timeline (in this case, it's 1 clip on V1 with a text on a gap on V2) and open it in it's own timeline to insert edit to tape, I have to re-render.  Shouldn't the render stick?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
A_Over_B
in reply to: ksirul

duplicate the timeline and delete the other segments?

Message 3 of 6
ksirul
in reply to: A_Over_B

I suppose. This is a 98 minute film but I guess that shouldn't matter.  Even so, is this normal behavior or a weird 2015 Mavericks bug?

Message 4 of 6
A_Over_B

My guess is that when the clip is rendered in old_timeline_1, the software keeps a track of all renders that are necessary for old_timeline_1.

If you take a rendered segment and insert that into new_empty_timeline_2 the software is unaware of any prior render for new_empty_timeline_2 so it assumes that there are no renders that have already been made and marks the segments as unrendered.

If you duplicate the timeline then the software will include any timeline renders when it makes the duplicated timeline, thus, duplicated_timeline_2 still has pointers to frames and audio that have already been processed - they are the same renders as old_timeline_1 but accessed via new references.

Should it behave differently?

I guess you could request a preference but personally I prefer the way things are functioning now - of course your requirements may differ significantly.

As for Mavericks? Isn't that the unwanted, handicapped lovechild of Apple?

My $0.02 - Upgrade to Yosemite when you are able.

Message 5 of 6
ksirul
in reply to: A_Over_B

Not that I'm doing this right now, but there are instances where I may have a lot of punch ins.  If I had 20-30 punch ins to tape, this method would not be a very streamlined workflow.  I would much rather have the option of marking in and out and having that dictate the punch in or export parameters.  I've come to not mind copying out the sections I need to punch in as the one good consistant thing my Smoke 2015 has done is accurate tape punch ins.  I've come to realize the Smoke 2015 is not the longform conforming tool I'd hoped, but it's hard to say with all the Mavericks issues.  Is it pretty much agreed that Yosemite fixes a lot of the issues and is the recommended action if you're on a new Mac Pro and can't go back to Snow Leopard?

Message 6 of 6
BKM
Advisor

Ideally you should just be able to export or playout from in to out marks like in Flame Assist Ext 2. Perhaps it will show up in Smoke 2016.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report