Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubleshooting and Bugs

357 REPLIES 357
Message 1 of 358
Anonymous
4046 Views, 357 Replies

Troubleshooting and Bugs

Notice:

I've been asked to inform you all that in future all bugs and suspected bugs are to be posted in this thread as some are getting pushed onto page 2 etc and may get missed. This will make it easier to track and help with all bugs users may experience or be unsure about, and so that no one fails to get an answer about a bug, problem or suspected bug.

Please clearly state your bug or problem , your hardware setup and OS and any relevant details as this will help you to get any problems dealt with faster.

Wayne...
357 REPLIES 357
Message 2 of 358
neutrondog
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm pretty sure this isn't a bug but it's driving me crazy and I need to know if it's a software, computer or cockpit issue.

I created a mesh in XSI and when I try to paint a bump map on it the brush strength behaves as if it is set to max but the same brush and settings paints just fine on a Mudbox 2009 created mesh. I've attached a screen shot showing the problem.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on or how to fix it or workaround it?

computer: HP AMD Athlon 64 X2 3GB RAM
video card: NVidia 9800
Wacom Intuos 3

Message 3 of 358
Anonymous

Did you assign a unique shader to each object? And change the bump strength perhaps for one material?
Message 4 of 358
Anonymous

Could you tell us if you scaled the object or transformed it before painting?
Message 5 of 358
neutrondog

Yes, the model was scaled. When I imported it into MB it came in so small compared to a MB head that I scaled it up from within Mudbox.

I just tried it again without scaling and the brush painting appears to behave, then I scaled it up in MB and the brush problem comes back.

I'll scale models before bringing them into MB, this is a workaround I can live with.

Thanks
Message 6 of 358
Anonymous

Potential Bug: Painting does not cover all areas of mesh

Here's a link to the source MB scene file:

http://www.skinvue.net/Mudbox/MudPaintBug.zip

Message 7 of 358
Anonymous

Possible Bug: Tiling Stencils don't work in Paint Projection Mode

When using Projection Paint, tiling the stencil does not work. It only allows you paint over the single tile of the original stencil.
Message 8 of 358
Anonymous

The problem was your UV's. They were simply too close to the edges of the tile (I always leave a 2-4pixel gap between each island and also the edges of the tile.) There were a couple of other minor UV problems as well but those were not the cause. Also your mesh is a bit tiny to be frank, So I've included a image to show the difference in scale between the default human base fro mudbox and yours. This has a very big effect on how mudbox operates...so scale it up a fair whack , export the obj back out and then reimport things again and this will solve the size issue. If you dont scale it up the sculpting brushes may well seem hyper sensitive and way too over blown.

Hope that helps.

Wayne...

Message 9 of 358
per128

Hi there.
Here are a couple of bugs.

Selection won't work
Goes for all kinds, even select-all and is object-specific. The workaround I have found is to drop and then go up one subd level, or to add a new level. After doing so, selection will work fine again for that object. This happens very frequently. I can still sculpt those meshes, just not perform selections on them. I have a feeling it might be objects I don't modify in mudbox but are static subdivided parts of the scene like armor pieces and such.

"Unfreeze all" critical problem
XP32: I get an "An unknown error has occured..." message, and can continue working on the model
XP64: Unfreeze crashes mudbox like in the screenshot below.

EDIT: Invert freeze crashes on XP32, same as in the screenshot

This happens regardless of whether anything was frozen to start with. This doesn't happen when I load a clean scene with the mudbox head model.

Let me know where, and I'll send you a file that illustrates both problems.

System specs
XP32 SP 2 / XP64 SP2 (Recent install, very stable)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz
4GB
GF 8600GTS 256MB

Message 10 of 358
Anonymous

If the Active brush stamp image file is removed, mudbox crashes on startup. not a major one but something you might want to look into nonetheless.

win xp 32
athlon x2 5200+
8800 gts 640mb
Message 11 of 358
Anonymous

The problem was your UV's. They were simply too close to the edges of the tile (I always leave a 2-4pixel gap between each island and also the edges of the tile.) There were a couple of other minor UV problems as well but those were not the cause. Also your mesh is a bit tiny to be frank, So I've included a image to show the difference in scale between the default human base fro mudbox and yours. This has a very big effect on how mudbox operates...so scale it up a fair whack , export the obj back out and then reimport things again and this will solve the size issue. If you dont scale it up the sculpting brushes may well seem hyper sensitive and way too over blown.

Hope that helps.

Wayne...

Thanks Wayne. Yes that helps a lot. I re-watched your excellent stater videos and indeed the model I'm using (DAZ V4) is very. very small. After scaling this up by 100x, the problem went away.
Message 12 of 358
Anonymous

The problem I have with the re-scaling UV's to provide enough "bleed" room is that the maps I am working on are for a standard Poser character I'm creating. If I change the UV scaling to fix the bleed problem, then my new maps won't fit the standard Poser character. I would have to resize them. I still think that this is a bug that needs to fixed. As long as the UV's are within the tile, it shouldn't cause problems such as this.

Message 13 of 358
ulukai

Two submeshes in one mesh will crash Mudbox2009 when mirroring an probably flipping too. Same when tangent symetry is turned on.
It's probably logical that this can't work (symetry is initialized only on one of the submeshes).
Solution would be if we could initialize symetry on every submesh and get warning message when not all submeshes would have symetry initialized. Another solution would be to show the user warning message on import of object with submeshes and disable tangent sculpting and mirroring/fliping.
Message 14 of 358
Anonymous

I've two errors I would like to report.

1: Random crashes when opening new scenes and files
- I've got no idea what is causing this, it's random.

2: Layers disappearing and crashing when deleting an existing layer.
- start a new scene with mudbox object or create something > create layers > subdivide > sculpt a bit > try to delete layer > error!

I'm using the 64 bit trial version. I've already send a dozen error messages to autodesk.
More info:

OPERATING SYSTEM
Name: Microsoft® Windows Vista Business
Service Pack: 1.0
Architecture: 64-bit
Total Physical Memory: 8189 MB
Total Virtual Memory: 8388607 MB

PROCESSOR
Number of Processors: 1
Logical Processors: 4
Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
Name: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Number of Cores: 4
Max Core Speed: 2400 MHz

VIDEO
Card Name: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX
Memory: 512 MB
Driver Name: nvd3dum,nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2um, nvwgf2umx.dll
Driver Version: 7.15.11.7474
Video Mode: 1680 x 1050 x 4294967296 colors
Message 15 of 358
Anonymous

I'm finding the contrast brush works erratically when set to inverse. Initially I can use it to reduce the contrast on a sculpted layer but sooner or later during a modelling session it will switch to standard 'increase contrast' mode and the inverse switch will have no effect. I've been using the standard head mesh.
Message 16 of 358
Jhonus

This bug might be a bit obscure, but I've been having a recurring crash where my nvidia opengl drivers fail. This crashes mudbox and i lose all unsaved work. This only occurs after an hour or so of work.

The first error says my opengl drivers have failed, Mudbox viewport goes black and stops responding. Viewport comes back grey - app still not responding, wait about five mins and get this error:

"The NVIDIA OpenGL Driver encountered an unrecoverable and must close this application. Error 13".

Setup:
Vista home prem x64
4gigs ram
intel core duo 3ghz
geforce 8600GT 256mb - driver 7.15.11.7813

just trying new video card drivers
Message 17 of 358
HAL88

just curious about an issue I keep having,

basically the human body and head stuff in mudbox which you can play with when it starts up when I want to sculpt (which I did) I can go up to like 6-7 divisions levels and works more then fine (managed to get 1.5 million poly detail onto 16,000 ^_^ with normal map ) , but it worked when I exported the human character thats available in mudbox 2009 into max and put the normal map on.

When I bring in my own characters one is a modelled body with neck another is a modelled head, the division levels only goes up to level 1 and then crashes if you go higher , so I am just puzzled about what is causing this, because at first figured was my memory but my laptop managed to handle 2million polygon model when I was playing around with the head in mudbox 2009.
Also I had a 8 thousand poly model which managed to go up bout 4 divisions worked fine but when I exported the normal map mudbox 2009 said some error with it and failed making the normal map.

2.50 GHz Processor

AMD Turion 64 technoloy

Windows XP Latest SP

2GB of Ram

Nvidia GeForce Go 7900
Message 18 of 358
Anonymous

I don't see nothing in perspective view....just black screen
In Log file I find this message:
"Framebuffer incomplete:Missing dimensions"

Look at attached image.

Message 19 of 358
Anonymous

I installed the demo on my new vista 64 bit system, and all the viewport filters are screwed up. When I turn one on (doesn't matter which) the viewport is sized down and black bars on the top and side appear, the filters then are corrupted. Turning them off resolves the problem.
I know this probably has got something to do with my graphicscard and/or drivers.

My rig:

Core 2 Quad 9450
4 gig ram
Nvidia 8800 gt 512 mb
Latest drivers from nvidia are used.
Message 20 of 358
Anonymous

This isn't really a big bug, but 'Toggle Wireframe' does not change the checkbox status in the menu when called via the hotkey. The Wireframe checkbox in the menu does not tell if Wireframe is on or off.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report