Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trim Head / Trim Tail Keyboard Shortcuts in Smoke 2015?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
gargo2011
336 Views, 2 Replies

Trim Head / Trim Tail Keyboard Shortcuts in Smoke 2015?

i think that shortcuts were changed in the 2015 version

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
moreymichael
in reply to: gargo2011

I'd love to know what they are, too. Tutorials no longer seem to apply.

Cheers, Mike

Late 2013 MacPro, 10.9.5, 2.7 GHz 12-Core, 64GB ram, AMD D700, 1TB SSD
Message 3 of 3
Grant.Kay
in reply to: moreymichael

Hello,

The keyboard shortcuts did change in the previous versions and so did the way the trimming functioned in the timeline.

This is all covered in the trimming tutotials in the Smoke Getting Started videos on the Smoke Learning Channel. --- http://youtu.be/-ISaX9nran4?list=PLJMSXsdbrZ7YDvJ7OtPXozwqN2p7-noS2

I double checked them to make sure I was up to date and they are very much still valid.... Sorry Mike.

The first thing to know is that the trimming mechanism in timeline/sequence is now transition based and not shot based as previously.    How does this affect you?

Basically in the past, you would select an entire segment and you would have a number of hotkeys to press to either trim the head or tail of a clip.  Looking at from one point of view, you had to memorise a lot of hotkeys to do trimming.

Nowdays you select the transition and tell it what to do.   For example, you could select the head or tail transition of a clip (or the cut between two clips to lock the transition together).   With that selection, you now use only one hotkey to move the transition to the positioner.

If you are using the Smoke FCP profile, you select the head or tail of a clip and press E.  This will trim the selected transition to the location of the positioner.

Or if you are using the Smoke Classic profile, you select the head or tail of a clip and press CONTROL+P.  This will trim the selected transition to the location of the positioner.

The next question I am usually asked is why the dramatic change in trimming?   In order to enhance the trimming functionality including the addition of a trim view, the trim mechcanisms need to be more focused on the cuts themselves rather than the segments.  

Hope this helps.

Regards

Grant

Grant Kay
Principal Learning Content Developer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Official Autodesk Flame Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/flamehowtos

The Official Autodesk Smoke Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos

Also available as podcasts on iTunes

Follow me on twitter @discreetuk for the latest training updates.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report