Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timeline Question

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
adamt
316 Views, 4 Replies

Timeline Question

Is there a way to view the underlying frame on the timeline, whilst dragging a different clip around on the layer above?

I am finding that when i drag a clip along the timeline, all the video remains static as the Positioner Bar is not in motion,

and even when i place the positioner bar at the head of the clip, when i drag the video the images don't refresh until i let go.  

What am i doing wrong?

adam

Flame 2020.3
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
BKM
Advisor
in reply to: adamt

Not sure I fully understnad what you are trying to do.. but....

1. You can move the positoner to a lower track and still adhjust layers above it. You won;t see those changes until you move the playhead back up to those layers.

2. In the timeline Options, you can active Focus on Trim. It will then snap the positoner to the head ortail of a clip that you are trimming and show you that frame as you trim.

3. The trim view should show you your frames as you trim as well.  Are you lifting and dragging a clip or using the SLIDE tool?

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
Message 3 of 5
adamt
in reply to: BKM

Hi Brian,

Its not easy trying to explain in words...

I already have the Focus on Trim set, and that works well, however, its not quite what i need.

Im not in Trim view as i'm not really trimming either.

Its more for quick re-arranging of the edit sequence - i like to grab a clip and drag it to a new location in the timeline, but because the video doesnt refresh to show whats on the underlaying track, and none of the timeline layers show thumbnails to suggest at the shots content, which makes it just guesswork where to let go.

Trim Mode does the sort of display i mean, but it only works if you are actually trimming the clips - if the clips are already perfectly trimmed but the order needs changing i cant find a way to move the clips and see the video.

Even in TrimMode, you cannot place the positioner on a layer then view the contents of the layer whilst moving the clip.

I know - grab a positioner and wiggle across a clip - the video refreshes and shows where the positioner is ....but if the leave the positioner and waggle the clip - you get no visual feedback at all....and for me, moving the clip is a far more intuitive way to edit than moving a positioner to find the spot then dragging the clip to meet it.

confused?  i know i am!

adam

Flame 2020.3
Message 4 of 5
BKM
Advisor
in reply to: adamt

I don't think it's possible to do what you want since you are not trimming.. but just moving clips.
Other than turning off focus on trim and moving your positioner to the location you want and see the frame and then snapping to it. 

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
Message 5 of 5
adamt
in reply to: BKM

thanks Brian - i figured as much.  

oh well, maybe a feature request is in order...

adam

Flame 2020.3

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report