Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

These Bug Fixes Should Be Provided To All 2015 Smoke Users at No Charge

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
ryan
945 Views, 12 Replies

These Bug Fixes Should Be Provided To All 2015 Smoke Users at No Charge

Autodesk: you should be providing any Smoke 2015 perpetual license holder with a solution for the following bugs available in Ext 1 Desktop, regardless of whether they are on subscription...

Action After entering Action, 10bit and 12bit are not supported anymore in the application and generate crashes.

Size Estimate is not dealing correctly with gaps and preventing restore or
wire.

It is not possible to capture, when including Headroom

Crash when conforming XML with Matte Container.

Modifying Motion Blur settings or exiting CFX crashes if CFX Timeline
Result is displayed.

CFX/Action: When LUT editor is applied, slip no longer works correctly.

Crash when playing back imported audio in CFX.

Crash showing result viewport after exploding FX in CFX.

Possible CFX lost and library/project corruption after crashing the
application.

Some color values are changed during rendering even though no
parameters are modified

16-bit float media gets clamped when timewarp is applied

Closing Libraries may delete material

Random crash when browsing QuickTime files.

Desktop Paint darkens images

... Anyone owning a smoke should not expect the above bugs to occur based on the application's functionality claims.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
jamesgrean
in reply to: ryan

Control Left arrow/right arrow no longer goes to start/end of timeline in timeline or batch, in Yosemite 10.10.1.

Message 3 of 13
jamesgrean
in reply to: jamesgrean

When going in and out of CFX, CFX sources keeps untwirling/expanding. If I close it, I want it to stay closed. I don't want to see CFX sources except on certain occasions. The rest of the time, I want to see my libraries. Stop Sources from automatically opening every darn time.

Importing into a folder in a library, makes the library jump back up to the top of the list. Eg, I have a lot of folders in folders - being neat. I scroll down to the folder I want, and import a shot. Library jumps/scrolls back to top, I can't see the folder I just navigated to. Then I have to scroll down to drag it into batch.

Message 4 of 13
jamesgrean

Play in-to-out actually plays in-to-out plus 30frames each side. Doesn't do what it says on the box.

Message 5 of 13
fred.warren

Hello James,

The Expand / Collapse CFX Sources problem you are referring to is more "complicated" to fix than you might think. It's one of those things that seem like a no-brainer, but there are some implication under the hood. I know because we have looked at it.

As for the Play In to Out having 30 extra frames, this is because these functions use the Pre Roll and Post Roll settings into consideration. You can set them to 0 in the Viewing Settings panel of the Player (at the top right of the panel under the Playback section).

fred

Frédéric Warren
User Experience Designer
Message 6 of 13
dalyj

Hi Ryan,

All but 3 of the defects you listed are fixed and currently avaiable to all 2015 Perpetual users in Service Pack 2.  The 3 outstanding defects are:

• Size Estimate is not dealing correctly with gaps and preventing restore or wire
  • It is not possible to capture, when including Headroom
  • Crash showing result viewport after exploding FX in CFX

As far as future fixes are concerned, the Development team is currently working on 2015 Service Pack 3 which will be available to Perpetual users.  They are targeting release before the holidays, but I cannot say at this point what will and will not be included in this upcoming service pack as things may change during the course of development and testing.

On a side note, please remember that 2015 is the last version of Smoke offered as a perpetually licensed software.  For more information on this, please refer to the Smoke 2015 FAQ.

Best regards,

Jason

Jason Daly
Manager, Designated Support
Message 7 of 13
ryan
in reply to: dalyj

This is good news, thanks for posting the reply.  I wasn't aware SP2 addressed most of these bugs so it's my mistake to open this topic, sorry for that.

Looking forward to the rest of the open bugs being fixed.

BTW - I'm aware Perpetual licenses cease with v2015.  My concern is nobody should have software with broken core functionality, such as not being able to effectively work in anything above 8-bit or experience gamma shifts just by using paint.

Thanks.

Message 8 of 13
jamesgrean
in reply to: fred.warren

Hi Warren,

Thanks for the info. That pre/post roll setting sure is tucked away. I'd rather see it as a global user preference applied across all projects, not a player-specific preference. Eg, move it to the prefs menu, but allow the option in the player to "over-ride" on an as-needed basis.

I sincerely hope the control-left/right funcationality in both timeline and batch is restored for 10.10.1 when SP3 comes out. Especially as AD tech support have advised that running Smoke on Yosemite is better than running Smoke on Mavericks.

Message 9 of 13
moreymichael

Really? AD is recommending Yosemite over Mavericks? I seem to have missed that one. Can someone at AD confirm this before I upgrade?

Cheers, Mike

Late 2013 MacPro, 10.9.5, 2.7 GHz 12-Core, 64GB ram, AMD D700, 1TB SSD
Message 10 of 13
mpixls
in reply to: dalyj

"... the Development team is currently working on 2015 Service Pack 3 which will be available to Perpetual users."

This is a little bit of good news.  Perpetual users will appreciate this Autodesk.

Mac Pro 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
Dual AMD FirePro D700
64 GB RAM
1 TB APPLE SSD
Promise Pegasus2 R4
Message 11 of 13
jamesgrean
in reply to: moreymichael

Hey Morey,

I'm running Smoke 2015P on both a 6-core D500 Mac Pro and an 8-core D700 Mac Pro, and it's super smooth and responsive on both. No hanging, no freezing, no crashing. No need for the Autocad Hack.

These Macs are more stable than Flame 2014 SP1 and SP2, and  faster than some Linux Z800s that I've used.

Message 12 of 13
yann.laforest

Hi James,

You wrote:

Especially as AD tech support have advised that running Smoke on Yosemite is better than running Smoke on Mavericks.

Smoke will exhibit similar performances on both OS.

There no major benefit of upgrading to Yosemite from the Smoke perspective at this point.

Regards,

Yann

Yann Laforest

Program Manager Data Analytics - Autodesk EMS
10 rue Duke Street
Montréal (Québec) Canada H3C 2L7
Message 13 of 13
jamesgrean
in reply to: yann.laforest

Thanks Yann,

All I know is that I was advised to move from Mavericks to Yosemite, so I did!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report