Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strategies for creating centered, symmetric, or mirrored sketch geometry

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
zandernosler
1376 Views, 1 Reply

Strategies for creating centered, symmetric, or mirrored sketch geometry

I'm new to Fusion360 (and all autocad products) but am an old user of SolidDesigner, Pro-E, Alias, and Solid Works, and my biggest frustration with Fusion is how hard it is to create centered or symmetric geometries in the sketcher.

Noodling around it seems that the order of how thigns are drawn is important - is this true? I started laying down X-Y construction lines first, "fixing" them, then building geometry from there, but i find the constraint tool very hard to use - would love to start a thread with others' ideas for creating in the sketcher. Some topics, as examples:

- how to make a 2 x 2 lego "cube" with bumps on all sides

- how to construct a reverse "T" slot that as it get's tweaked for fit stays centered on the centerlines of the rectangluar surface on which it's built:Screen Shot 2014-06-22 at 2.22.58 PM.png

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

I  am not qualified to comment much on the differences between the Fusion approach and, say Solid Works- though many here would be able to. My perception is that in Fusion you really don’t need to define things so fully in sketching- you can move more quickly to solids or surfaces and establish relationships there. There is an underlying difference in the workflow. I don’t think the order of drawing is that important, but I might not be understanding what you are seeing. 

For the cube, I would personally just start with a primitive, then place a “bump” (cylinder?) on one side, and use the Create Pattern tool to place the bumps on one face, then copy that object to make other faces and boolean them together, but there may be a much more efficient path starting with a defined sketch.  I was able to make a T-slot that kept its centering and symmetry through tweaking by mirroring sketch elements that defined both the base and the slot. But I am assuming you only want to center on one axis- i.e. the hole? I think a 2nd sketch would be needed to establish symmetry in the other direction.

The main reason I replied was to say that, particularly with the new forum design, you are much more likely to get an answer and a discussion going in the “Help and Support” section. There are plenty of people there that can and will respond to your question- far better than I can.

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report