Stitcher General Discussion (Read Only)
General discussion of Autodesk Stitcher-related topics, questions, or comments
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stitcher Unlimited 2009 DS and MAC OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard???

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
311 Views, 3 Replies

Stitcher Unlimited 2009 DS and MAC OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard???

I need to make darn sure that I can use my Stitcher Unlimited 2009 with the new Snow Leopard 10.6.1. Is there any problems I could run into at all, even the littlest problem that you know of? I'm working on high fashion images, and can't even have one little problem at all, so any heads up will be a helpful.

I'm using a Canon 1Ds MarkIII and 8mm Sig Fisheye, and doing all my work in 2 shots at 184 degrees per image.

Scott
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Sam Rohn
in reply to: Anonymous

previous versions of realviz/autodesk stitcher have been broken by OS X updates, requiring odd workarounds or waiting 6 months to a year for realviz to catch up, and then usually with another paid update -

these days, other apps support stitching from circular fisheye images quite well, but most people are using 3 shots for such panos - but i just tried ptgui (which works great w/ snow leopard) on an old "double-shot" pano taken w nikon coolpix FC-E8 fisheye, works fine, try the free demo

stitcher has no support for multiple processors either, something many users have asked about & all of the competition has had for years, nor have they announced any intention to add it, or any sort of development roadmap or plans for the future at all in fact -

for pro work you might be better off investigating the alternatives...

sam

note, seems these forums are broken too, the link to the posting on multi-proc should go to this post -
http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-stitcher/general-discussion/could-get-its-big-boy-pants-if-i...
Sam Rohn :: Panoramic Photography :: www.samrohn.com :: Location Scout :: www.nylocations.com :: New York City
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Sam Rohn

Sam,

Thank you for the information on the ptgui, I looked at it and I played a bit with just shooting a few shots at my house, and it is INSANE! I love it! Much easier to use, and very very fast too. On top of the Realviz DS version that I paid something like 850 bucks for, and on the same day the company was bought by AD and dropped the price to half off - I noticed that all support was gone too. I agree that I have put out that 90 Dollar fee so many times over the past 2 years for really nothing at all. I hope someone at AD reads these posts, because it looks like this program is dead as a working solution.

I just got the ptgui Pro License now too. They seem to have their act together more then AD. Really can't figure out why this company wouldn't want to continue a better support system for such a large customer base.

Also if you're interested also, I'm also using a GIGAPAN Auto head system inside exotic cars. This system can be programmed to shoot 100's to 1000's of shots all done automatically. Some limits for different cameras, but it does all my work for me as I drink my coffee, and watch from afar. I'm going to try the ptgui sw with this auto head, and see what happens. The Gigapan Software is another dead end as to the company support, and is being developed by some EDU School that is not doing much at all with it. It also is the slowest program running on the fastest Mac I have ever built, and stills takes 1 minute a photo times 800 to 1200 photos taken in a sweep.

Thanks Again, you opened up a new door for me.

Scott
Message 4 of 4
Sam Rohn
in reply to: Anonymous

thanks scott -

i use a nodal ninja pano head, another product with excellent support - i like to travel light, the gigpan would be fun, but...

when compared to other modern pano stitching apps, stitcher unlimited seems about 5 years behind the pack, slow, buggy, no multi-processor support, no customer support after 30 days, disinterested developers & management, it seems all they can say is "As of today, there is no plan to abandon Stitcher" but no plans for updates or support either, apparently....

sam
Sam Rohn :: Panoramic Photography :: www.samrohn.com :: Location Scout :: www.nylocations.com :: New York City

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report