Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smoke 2015 Extension 1 Coming Soon

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
BKM
Advisor
1718 Views, 22 Replies

Smoke 2015 Extension 1 Coming Soon

Well this is good news....

http://www.autodesk.com/products/smoke/features/new/gallery-view

Matchbox, LUTS per Clip, and Sparks are back on the timeline effects.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: BKM

Is this also, only perpetual license?

Message 3 of 23
BKM
Advisor
in reply to: Anonymous

No, I would bet this is for Desktop Users only. I doubt there will be a perpetual Ext 1 version.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Message 4 of 23
jason

Matchbox on the timeline...sweet!

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous

That would be dissappointing. I don't recall Autodesk giving a specific date as to when the "perpetual" and "desktop" packages formally separate with respect to updates/support.  If one paid for a year of support for a "perpetual" license, you have to wonder what that includes for that fee (other that phone maintenance support) until it expires.

Message 6 of 23
BKM
Advisor
in reply to: Anonymous

Again, I maybe wrong.... but I was lead to belive that 2015 was the last release... where as 2015 Ext 1 is a new release.  I think that is why 2015 just got the SP2 update and the desktop didn't. Everyone on desktop is currently paying monthly/yearly and wil get EXT1 as part of it.  So there was no reason to release a SP2 for desktop just to update it again with EXT1 a week later.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Message 7 of 23
Anonymous

I'm really hoping this release fixes a lot of the Mavericks related issues!

Message 8 of 23
jkfriesen

Hmmm. While I understand the management logic behind this, I don't understand the ethical logic. I paid a renewal fee in good faith with the understanding I would be kept up to date with revisions until the expiration of the subscription, which is around December 17th. Yet an update has been released for Smoke on Mac I can't get unless I bail on my current subscription 4 months early and pay for the new subscription now. Will Autodesk credit me for the unused portion of my current valid subscription if I enroll now in the new model? Never mind. I know the answer to that. 🙂
Message 9 of 23
arichards
in reply to: jkfriesen

This is not a happy time and there are so many contradictions in this clumsy transition. As a parting gift to the subscription model I would be feel it highly unethical to withold the slim and narrow changes from the departing subscription customers just as it was unethical in witholding the service pack changes from the newly baptised desktop/rental customers. Such an awkward transition should not really punish either party on each side of the divide. Each should surely be cherished rather than insulted in this transitory age? Also and in addition, doesn't the word extension semantically point towards a component of subscription rather than, or at least accompanying, rental? 

On a separate though highly related note, I must say that I am really disappointed by the "content" of this extention release in terms of additional features. How little can you get away with? @BKMs good news thread, I myself, found quite comedic.  It's really quite a pathetic 'extension' that feels like a conversation where the participants said to each other "how little can we move"?  So it is my opinion that in a recent run of disppointing features over the past few releases this latest release really has to amount to the most disappointing of all of them. It really is so very bad that even Sparks are listed as a shiny new feature. It's certainly great that AD has swallowed their pride and fair play to them there, but to list this as a NEW FEATURE(!) of the latest release is like taking the save button away and then in the next release saying that this latest-greatest release allows for you to save your work. It's like those furniture sellers that put their prices up for a day and then say the day after that they've reduced their prices by 50%. To say that the latest release introduces Sparks (intead of OFX or AFX!!) is pretty comedic and I probably am not the first person to picture a figleaf in covering the lack of decent development here? It just seems to me like a Smoking suicide letter when compared with the competition. Such a shame. That this post is probably the first real complaint at such a lack speaks volumes for the lack of life here abouts. Would the taking away and bringing back of AFX plugins in AfterEffects have the same impact as this. Would the lead evangelical poster (@BKM) label that subtraction and addtion as great news in CC7.5? So the latest version of Smoke introduces Sparks, Matchbox in the timeline and.......well nothing else is really nothing at all to raise a fanfair for. At the very VERY least I would have expected to see dual screen and the larger expanded library that Flame saw. Why is that features something that cabin class cannot have? What makes such a feature such a special thing? Totally bonkers to divide two cabins on such a featureset and in terms of flight metaphors it's the sort of thing that would make you begin to think of switching from British Airways to Virgin. It's not like being a Catholic and so there's only here an argument for what you are materially offered.

There's so much 'cognitive dissonance' in the separation and contraditions and listening to Philippe Soeiro's FXGuide podcast just really reinforced the fractured and contradictory state that Flame(Smoke) is in. The answer that AD reached (and I took part in a long thread on the beta forum about this contradiction) is to protect the flame of Flame from the diminusion that Smoke seemed to be leading it towards. Instead of cheaper Flame the decision seems have been made to build the walls higher to protect the premium. That so little has been banded around here in relation to that may come across to AD as some blessed releif but I myself have notice a real slowdown of the traffic around here. The year could be 2006 but it really is not. I myself feel the urge to move on to other pastures where the software is not competing against something in its own stables. The latest extension of Smoke then, at least to me, is nakedly disapointing but just over there is a lot of movement with The Foundry, Mamba and Blackmagic and how know who else besides? AD's answer seems to be to dig its heels in and to deny deny deny such a voracious context. Hello Quantel 2.0? Yes they still sell but they are really quite bygone, as in VideoToaster, there's nostalgia in looking back at the world that once was ruled.  

Cheers

Tony

P.S. If this sounds like a moany-groany reply to the good news IBC thread then that is more than intenstional. This discussion forum has become morgue of late (even the very vocal and caring MikeyP has bailed) and it seems to me to be symptomatic of message that has been sent. I myself went through a phase of loving this software and continually offering opinons of what could be added or tweaked. As a beta tester of Pinnacle Liquid I used to do the same, until one day it keeled over and died (like Softimage it was taken over by Avid and then dropped after a time when today it could have been great). With a lack of development and the inflation of .001 features as shiney good news, things really do seem to be pointing in the direction of software vendors who are not tripping over protecting their own offerings from their own offerings. 

HP Z840, 80GB Ram, Quadro M6000x24GB
Message 10 of 23
rjino4732

Any news on when this will be made available?

Message 11 of 23
BKM
Advisor
in reply to: rjino4732

October Something.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Message 12 of 23
rjino4732

Thx Brian.

Message 13 of 23
svenbox2
in reply to: rjino4732

This review says 22 October.

http://www.macnn.com/reviews/autodesk-smoke-2015.html

Rumours also suggest that Yosemite is due for release on 21st. Coincidence?

Sven

Message 14 of 23
chismoke

Yes, it would be nice to get some kind of clarification as to whether the upcoming extension release will also cover the perpetual license.

I have a perpetual and my subscription is due. I got a quote from my reseller and if I want to stay current I can pay $675 for the maintnece on the perpetual and pay another $675 to cross grade over to desk top subscription.

However, if I do cross grade over to desk top in October with the extension release and if the extension is NOT avaialbe for perpetual

what is the point of paying the $675 to keep my perpetual license current?

Or am i missing something...? 

Message 15 of 23
BKM
Advisor
in reply to: chismoke

I am not sure your reseller understands the 'simplicity' of the of Autodesk subscription model.  🙂

The Ext1 release is just for desktop. Perpetual Subscription just got SP2.  The only difference between the 2 that I am aware of is Matchbox and Luts on the timeline... since Perpetual still has Sparks.

All other bug fixes and FCPXML updates are in both... as I understand it. 

Don't pay for the Perpetual subscription... or at least ask what you get for for it.
You can jump to desktop at anytime for the price of desktop subscription.. Monthly/quarter or year. No muss no fuss.

However, your $675 + $675 would eaqual the yearly rental on destop. And that may be where his reasoning is.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Message 16 of 23
chismoke

"Simplicity"...hmmmm.

Simplicity went out the window when perpetual, Desk Top and Flame Assist came into the picture.

Simplicity used to be paying $3500 for software and $650 for an annual subscription...no fuss no muss.

Simplicity would be someone from AD chiming in and saying yes or no to perpetual also getting the extension release. It seems pretty easy to me but for some reason seems cloaked in secrecy.

Is perpetual EOL as of today...EOL meaning any future SP's or extensions? If not, what can I expect (or give me a hint) as to what may happen with it over the course of the next year if I was to give them $675.

So yes, unless I hear other wise I DON'T plan on re-upping my perpetual subscription and will pay the $675 and jump to desk top but I also don't want to find out 2 years down the road if for some reason I bail on desk top and fall back to perpetual that now I have issues because I didn't pay the $675. Unfortunately it's a trust factor...or lack there of. 

My reseller is pretty good and didn't say "here is what you need to pay" he presented me with the 2 options...do one or both but even he couldn't get me the info on the status of perpetual.

Message 17 of 23
BKM
Advisor

You missed my /sarcasm tag on the word SIMPLICITY.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Message 18 of 23
chismoke

No I saw it...just took the opportunity to vent (maybe at your expense...just a little) Anyway, all good...I feel better now.
Message 19 of 23
davidjahns

they still released SP packs for the 2012 version long after 2013 was out, so 2015 Perps MIGHT get an SP3 with bug fixes - but I would bet money we will not see a Ext 1 for the Perps.  No new features unless you join the SUBS.  That's my guess, anyway...

Message 20 of 23
chismoke

Just got word that there will not be an extension release for perp licenses...this from a reliable source. fwiw.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report