Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smoke 2015 Ext 1 (Desktop Subscription) Now availible

57 REPLIES 57
Message 1 of 58
BKM
Advisor
2671 Views, 57 Replies

Smoke 2015 Ext 1 (Desktop Subscription) Now availible

Smoke (Desktop Subscription) 2015 Ext1 is now available!

Desktop Subscription customers can now log into the Subscription Center and download Smoke 2015 Extension 1.

Extension 1 adds: • The Segment-based LUT Editor – Apply LUTS, color transforms, and color space conversions to timeline segments or groups of segments in the timeline.

• Matchbox Timeline FX – Access, build, and apply custom shaders and transitions using the powerful Matchbox GLSL shader creation tool, now available right in the timeline. •

Compatibility with Sparks – Add a variety of third party plug-in effects to your projects in Smoke.

Release Notes: http://docs.autodesk.com/smoke2015-user-guide/smoke2015x1_desktop_subscription_release-notes.pdf

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
57 REPLIES 57
Message 2 of 58
matt.wilmshurst
in reply to: BKM

Hi Brian,

I have a perpetual license (ending nov 13) and have paid subscription until that date . I am currently running 2015 sp1.

I have just received an email saying I can download 2015 ext 1 from my subscription page.

Could you briefly explain my situation please regarding being offered ext1 but not anticipating switching over to desktop subscrition for a little while. Also please can you highlight exactly where on the page i find the download as i cannot see it.

Many thanks,

Matt

www.mattwilmshurst.com
Message 3 of 58

Mine does not show up as well. 

I've got the mail, but is it not listed in my overview... Why ?

Message 4 of 58
arichards

A really really threadbare release, especially when you compare it with the Flame family. A few deckchairs rearranged (spot the reference) but nothing added to really move the software forward. I'm in the process of ordering the academic version of the production collective which will include Nuke Studio when its released. Basically I get this annually for around £150 and The Foindry arent competing against themselves. There is nothing inhouse that they are protecting and they are agressively going after the finishing market. Well they've won me over though I would have loved to be won over by a flame on Mac at a price that's not unreachable in my niche. Smoke really has gecome supremely unloved a snot part of the family, yet NukeStudio seem to be agressively expanding. I think I'm transitioning across...

Cheers
Tony
HP Z840, 80GB Ram, Quadro M6000x24GB
Message 5 of 58
ws
Contributor
in reply to: helgetjelta

+1
Message 6 of 58

I have the same problem. I don't see the link on my account.

Thx, Steff

Message 7 of 58
waltersoyka

I understand the difference between my existing perpetual Smoke license and the new Desktop Subscription plan, but I remain disappointed that Smoke 2015 Ext 1 is unavailable to me.

I paid my "subscription" (maintenance) contract last December, well before the perpetual/Desktop Subscription split was announced. As my subscription agreement predated the new sales model and as it doesn't expire until this December, I feel that I and others in my position should be grandfathered in and eligible for Smoke 2015 Ext 1, since it is a Smoke update released during our contract period.

Message 8 of 58
svenbox2
in reply to: waltersoyka

Same for me. My subscription renews tomorrow but before I paid I explicitly asked about ext 1 and was told 'you are entitled to all the same upgrades/downloads etc' I hope that's not a politicians way of answering the question.

Message 9 of 58
mark
in reply to: svenbox2

I would very much like to see a reply here from Autodesk. A justification for this palty release, and in my case a non-release.

If the money that we spend on subs is worthless to you, can I please have a refund?

I think I know where I can apply those funds.

So, Autodesk, if you do monitor this forum, please try to justify this. Or, if not, please let me and others know how to enact a refund.

$1500 a year to turn sparks back on and recieve one soft effect from Flame. That's seems a bit steep.

Message 10 of 58
svenbox2
in reply to: mark

So the question is will there be any further development of the perpetual release version? If not then what would the benefit of maintaining a subscription? Is it just support?

Have I been mis-sold a subscription? I did ask the question about ext1 and was told all 'you are entitled to all the same upgrades/downloads etc'. I'd also be interested in getting a refund.

Sven

Message 11 of 58
jason

"I understand the difference between my existing perpetual Smoke license and the new Desktop Subscription plan, but I remain disappointed that Smoke 2015 Ext 1 is unavailable to me.

I paid my "subscription" (maintenance) contract last December, well before the perpetual/Desktop Subscription split was announced. As my subscription agreement predated the new sales model and as it doesn't expire until this December, I feel that I and others in my position should be grandfathered in and eligible for Smoke 2015 Ext 1, since it is a Smoke update released during our contract period."

I can't agree more with what Walter said...and this is coming from someone who paid the original 15k sticker price and subscription every year.  

I can live without the update but being excluded from getting it because Autodesk changed the rules (while I have an active subscription) just rubs me the wrong way.

Message 12 of 58
mpixls

Agree 100%.  Additionally, if nothing else is offered to us "perpetual®" license holders, a refund of some sort?

Mac Pro 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
Dual AMD FirePro D700
64 GB RAM
1 TB APPLE SSD
Promise Pegasus2 R4
Message 13 of 58
A_Over_B
in reply to: arichards

I think FXPHD have figured out how to get educational versions of flame, flare & flame assist for some new course.

Perhaps your local reseller can get you hooked up.

IMHO flame on a mac would be underwhelming.

You can certainly soup up Mac Pro & New Mac Pro and Macbook Pro to play nice with media of all kinds and sizes and aspect ratios and bit depths and frame rates and that's groovy as ****, because iTunes is running in the background and your phone messages get displayed in cute little bubbles.

I've been waiting nearly twenty years to see this transition and it's amazing - clean software on convenient, off the shelf workstations.

But a mac is not a flame and a flame can be gigantic compared to whatever you want to build with mac hardware.

The macs are like ferraris - beautiful, especially when they're vintage (maybe that's an overstatement - my macs are probably more like ford fiestas)

But a proper out of the box flame is an M1 Abrams.

Message 14 of 58
chismoke
in reply to: svenbox2

"perpetual" is end of life (for the person who asked). This coming from AD via my re-seller. I guess maintaining is a question of how much you value support.

I'm in the same boat with perp vs desktop...as is our company. In my opinion this whole situation couldn't have been handled any worse...across the board. I've never seen a company try harder to shoot themselves in the foot...it's a head scratcher.

I hope this all ends well...but i'm not quite sure.

Message 15 of 58
mark
in reply to: A_Over_B

Different people do different things. I do tv spots. I never mess with 4k. There generly is not a ton of super intense vfx work. And a mac set up correctly will not be throwing you messages all the time, and itunes can be turned off.

Look, I am not a mac head. I like mac, but I like the tool that earns me money most. I am a mobile freelancer. Some of my clients facilities could never support a full blown flame. If ADSK wants to step up and move to a more modern OS than the red hat vers they are on (correct me if I am wrong, but that RH vers is like 3 or 4 years old?) Then I could probably use a flame. I have the billings to support it. I just can't use it. One of the big reasons I went freelance in the first place was ADSK sold me on a product that could be compact and mobile. People bitch about how the mac pro has no PCI slots. When was the last time you stepped behind you flame setup and said, "Wow, 4 cables conecting everything." I do it everyday. Thunderbolt makes it possible for me to setup and finish spots in any situation.

I like how small the mac pro is, but if I could run flame on a z820 running thunderbolt, I would. But I can't, and now ADSK has decided that maybe selling smoke on mac was a bad idea. I'm sure it pissed off some post house owners. But this is the 21st century. Look at the reality around you. How many of us are freelancers? How many agencies have in-house post? I'm sure flame still works great in LA, maybe NY too, but in my market, I need to be way more flexible if I want to eat. That means having my own system, and being able to work on other peoples flames.

Smoke is dead. ADSK is just killing it slowly as to not piss off people that paid money. Mark my words though, Smoke is dead. They way ADSK is handling it, they CAN'T be picking up any new users. I give it a year, tops. I have started to transition to Nuke. I see it as the only way forward. Unless ADSK decides to get real with flame, I am work now on leaving the fold. And that sucks, I love these products, but I have a family to feed, and I can't wait for ADSK to realize the future happend. 

Message 16 of 58
A_Over_B

Yep
Got four cables on my little MacBook pro.
I love my little MacBook pro and it's thunderbolt arrays, & I do have iTunes running while I'm noodling with projects.
I even love running the software on the old silver Mac Pro which I bought specifically for smoke on Mac when dinosaurs were roaming the planet.
Both competent machines, I marvel at the power of the little folding aluminum slab that I tippetty tap at daily.
But a flame can be way bigger, can connect to more things and ultimately do more because it's not a prisoner of either one of these form factors.
Everyone that runs nuke studio will need a big workstation too.
Could be awesome fast, and cheap with thunderbolt networking... Time will tell.
Message 17 of 58
helgetjelta

I bet on Black Magic and Fusion re-build. That really looks like a nice future...

Message 18 of 58
matt.wilmshurst

Hi Brian,

Could yourself or someone from autodesk answer my initial question please which was -

"Hi Brian,

I have a perpetual license (ending nov 13) and have paid subscription until that date . I am currently running 2015 sp1.

I have just received an email saying I can download 2015 ext 1 from my subscription page.

Could you briefly explain my situation please regarding being offered ext1 but not anticipating switching over to desktop subscrition for a little while. Also please can you highlight exactly where on the page i find the download as i cannot see it.

Many thanks,

Matt"

If i am not able to download ext 1 why was I sent the email? Plus If I have paid my subscription then I am entitled to the product upgrades.

Thanks,

Matt

www.mattwilmshurst.com
Message 19 of 58

+1

I'm so sad this happened. And they say they sent it by accident. Well, they got me hopening that my current subscrition would give me updates as long as it lasted. At least that was what I signed up for.

Existing subscriptions should work, and get extentions/updates, until the expire. Not before.

I really don't understand how Autodesk can treat their customers like this. Are they just forcing us on other stuff... ?

Please get you **** together and treat your customers with repect.

Message 20 of 58
BKM
Advisor
in reply to: matt.wilmshurst

If you have the Perpetual License and are paying for that subscription/maintenance. Then you are not entiled to 2015 X1.

I agree that the entire subscription/maintenance/desktop has been poorly handled by Autodesk an/or it's resellers.

My advice is, is that if you don't need to interact with Flame then move to the desktop subscription.  You will get all of the new features and future updates. You can pay monthly, quarterly, or yearly. 

If you do need to interact with Flame, I am not sure how long 2015 (perpetual) will even do that as it Flame is now on Ext 2 and projects/setups/archives will not be compatible. You can still for with Flame 2015 (vanilla) 

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report