Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smoke 2012 on 15" MBP Retina?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
moreymichael
695 Views, 4 Replies

Smoke 2012 on 15" MBP Retina?

Is anyone using Smoke (2012 in particular) on the MacBook Pro 15" Retina? Is this video card acceptable: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory? Also, it comes with OS X Mountain Lion (some version probably above what has been approved by Autodesk). Perhaps I can downgrade the OS X to 10.7.5, if the Retina will allow it. I'm currently on a 2011 17" MBP, and need to replace it. Wouldn't mind knowing if this MBP will work for me before I shell out the bucks.

Cheers, Mike

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
GB0078
in reply to: moreymichael

I'm currently using Smoke 2012 with the 15" MBP with 10.8.3 - I've only got 8 RAM.  Smoke works fine for me. I did being to have issues with slower performance and more frequent crashes toward the end of my project once I had an abundance of sequences & a very large amount of clips (just over a 100) in my library.  

Smoke does work fine on the MBP Retina, not 100% flawless, but it was not a miserable experience either. However it's no secret that you will get more out of it with more powerful computer.

Tags (3)
Message 3 of 5
moreymichael
in reply to: GB0078

Thanks, G.

I know there's an update for the MBP Retina in the pipeline, but I'm not sure the specs won't cause me grief if I want to continue to use 2012. If the current version works, I think I'll go for it.

Cheers, Mike

Message 4 of 5

I know it's a dfferent laptop but for the record I have the educational version of Smoke 2012 running on my 17" MBP (OSX 10.8.3) with the standard AMD Radeon HD 6750M and 16GB of RAM and it works a dream.  

Message 5 of 5
GB0078
in reply to: GB0078

Just to clarify - the amount of clips I meant to reference was 1000, not 100..... the difference a 0 can make

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report