Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shadow - strange behaviour in Action

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
adamt
367 Views, 3 Replies

Shadow - strange behaviour in Action

I am trying to create shadows on a groundplane from flat images created in photoshop (with alpha channels), and which have been positioned vertically at 90 degrees to the floor plane.

The images are product shots, and the image frame is larger than the actual cutout when the alpha is used.

I have used a light and Shadow cast (which is giving a good shadow. The problem i am seeing is that rather than using the alpha to cast the shadow, it looks like the overall frame size is being used to determine the shadow, because its being truncated where the floorplane intersects the unseen lower part of the image.

My shadowcast is set to 2.5d shadows, and tried cycling through every other setting on the page, but nothing seems to improve the truncation.

I have attached a screengrab of the problem.

Is there a way to create the shadow so this does not happen?

Flame 2020.3
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: adamt

Resize the canvas of your product shots to make it bigger so that the edge of alpha isn't near the edge of frame. Otherwise, no, it's always done that.

Message 3 of 4
adamt
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks David,

just tried that but it makes no difference...once i reposition the image so the product has its feet on the ground plane, the shadow gets truncated. If i move the figure so its off the ground, then the shadows fall softly but make it obvious the product is floating.

Is there any way to mask the shadows so i can manually trim it to look right?

adam

Flame 2020.3
Message 4 of 4
joelosis
in reply to: adamt

are u sure its not a zbuffer thing, try turning it off and then messing with the contact point of the floor plane to cheat it

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report