Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roundtrip to Resolve

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
adamt
501 Views, 3 Replies

Roundtrip to Resolve

I have an edit that i have done using MXF files imported directly into Smoke. I have not applied any LUTS to improve the very washed out colour, and have finished the rough cut with just a few timewarp effects.

I now need to send the project to Resolve for grading, but i cannot get my head around the workflow. The only tutorial i have found transcodes the edit into ProRes - which seems very counterintuitive if you want to retain all the log colour data.

I have tried to export edls without any media, but i am constantly seeing Smoke trying to render the entire timeline before exporting...even though i have told it not to include media!  

the cut is 90 seconds, but the renders are taking over 30minutes! Surely this is not right?

I am unsure what to do about the timewarped clips - i assume they will need to be rendered, but into what format and how do i export just those clips and not the entire timeline? 

where on earth do other editors go to learn all this? 

adam

Flame 2020.3
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ksirul
in reply to: adamt

I have not found a simple round trip to Smoke-Resolve workflow either.  What I did find was that Smoke would crash when I tried to open an XML from Resolve.  If I opened in FCP7 first, made a new XML from there, it would open fine in Smoke.  This could very well be a Mavericks issue, so it's hard for me to troubleshoot any of this.

KEN

Message 3 of 4
BrianBuongiorno5346
in reply to: adamt

If you have created your edit using Smoke, then just export and EDL or XML of the timeline, and open that in Resolve. Let Resolve conform your EDL/XML by pointing to the footage folder. You'll need to import those files into the media bin in Resolve first. After you grade the files in Resolve, render all the clips in the timeline as "seperate clips" and be sure to select keep file names and maintain the original source timecodes. Once the render is done, open Smoke, and import those graded clips into a new directory in your smoke project, ie "graded selects". Then use the original XML you created to conform those graded clips. Be sure to point to that library folder in smoke and select "set as conform search location." I usually don't allow Smoke to automatically import upon the conform or search for media, but instead first set my timeline resolution settings. Then once I tell smoke where to select the media from (set as conform search location) it will use those imported clips to link the right shots. You also need to select the "linked to match clips" option to finish the linking process. Be sure and set up your matching parameters as well, usually clip name and timecode. That should do the trick. I conform the Commericals I work on every week this way, and it is pretty painless. Just have to get all your settings right first.
Message 4 of 4
adamt
in reply to: BrianBuongiorno5346

thanks Brian, i'll give it go on monday!

Adam

Flame 2020.3

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report