Flame Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Flame Family (Flame, Flare, Flame Assist, Lustre) Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Flame topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reverse atlas

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
grg558gr
1290 Views, 5 Replies

reverse atlas

Hello every one, i have an fbx 3d model on unity 3d delivered with other models. all of them share a big atlas texture. I'm trying to "break the atlas" on 3ds max to get only the texture i want. I don't have the plist neither.

i'm a developer and don't know that much about 3ds max so please bear with me on this.

thank you.

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Steve_Curley
in reply to: grg558gr

Sounds like what you want is the Render to Texture feature. That will create a new image containing just what is necessary for that particular object. It's not too difficult to use (check the Help for details of how to use it) - post back if you need anything further on it.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 6
grg558gr
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Hello and thank you for your reply, i usesd this tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi467BO_-JY

to understand what to do with render to texture, but here he is baking 5 seprate textures into one big texture.

Actually what i'm looking for is the other way around.

i have 10 animals and 10 textures baked into 1 big texture. I need to use only one animal et therefore i need to extract the correspending texture from the big one. 

Hope this is clear

thanx

Message 4 of 6
Steve_Curley

It's the same thing, actually. If you have a model with multiple materials it's a lot more efficient to create a single texture from many. Now, that might seem backwards, but if there's only 1 material (but the model is only using part of it) the RTT procedure will create a new image containing just the necesssary part of the "atlas" image, which is what you're after. It's the same process either way.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 5 of 6
grg558gr
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Yes, actually i tried it and a got 1 texture with only the information i needed and a smaller size. What confused me i guess is that i was waiting to get a single texture like any other non baked model.

thanx alot this was very helpful.

Message 6 of 6
Steve_Curley

You're welcome 🙂

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report