Flame Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Flame Family (Flame, Flare, Flame Assist, Lustre) Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Flame topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RED CAMERA IMPORT FROM FCP XML

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
379 Views, 9 Replies

RED CAMERA IMPORT FROM FCP XML

Hi guys,
I have problem importing a project in Smoke which has been offline edited in FCP. I have the XML which is ver2 and the sequence settings is apple prores 4:2:2. I know that smoke can not directly import the apple prores files. So i just want to know how to make this whole thing work from FCP timeline to Smoke finishing as I am using 4k res r3d and I have to import it raw data. As i cannot use 2k converted DPX.

I went through the tutoria but ther was not much information for how to expot xml in different format which i can then relink with redcam R3D files from my HDD.

Any help appreciated
Thank u
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

A couple of questions for clarification-

Do you have the latest Wiretap Central installed?
If not, are you familiar with the FCP Crimson Red Cine Smoke workflow?
Are you finishing as 2K?
Do you already have the footage rendered as 2K DPX files?
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

yes i have the latest wiretapcentral and smoke 2010 Sp2

Yes but my final output will be in HD but i have to work on 4k footage

no im trying to capture it straight from r3d materials.

now its importing, but the problem is it doesnt link with the xml. i have all the files imported to my system i now want to relink them to the xml from the imported files in smoke.
thank u
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

I'll have to admit that I have not used the Wiretap workflow yet, however, it sounds like you should be able to relink by following the steps in the "Autodesk and the RED ONETM Camera
Workflow Guide". Here's a section from that document that may get you there.

The XML has now been converted to a clip named
like your FCP sequence.

Select the (XML) clip and drag it to the Reel containing
your DPX (image) sequences.

You will now need to Consolidate and Reformat
the clip before you can Relink it to your media.

With the clip still selected, go to the Tools section
In the Consolidate section, set Consolidate to All
Tracks and adjust the Handles setting according to
the handle amount you set in Crimson (Wiretap).

Click Consolidate and confirm

Next, in the Unlink/Relink section, select
Reformat and carefully chose the settings that
match your DPX sequences.

Click Reformat and confirm

Then, in the Relink section, click Relink From Reel.

Your DPX sequences are now relinked to the
imported FCP XML. You can now finish the project.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Just an addition :

Before reformat, it is always wise to copy setting from the from the RED footage by clicking on : Copy from the clip.

Also when Relinking move the XML into the Footage library and then use : Same as Library.

All`s well then :)))))).
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

In case you are still unable to get it right, mail me your number and I will call you back. Where are you based?
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

hi

my problem is solved
i just followed the steps and i had imported footage in my reel i dropped in the xml and reformated it and relinked it it worked.
thank you.

im based in Dubai
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Hey guys,

I have a related question, and I was wondering if someone could enlighten me:

We're doing an edit in FCP with ProRes (proxy) QTs rendered from Red Alert at 1920x1080. In the edit, we've scaled up some of the shots, knowing that these particular takes were shot in 4k so we could repo them later.

My question is... if we import the XML into wiretap to relink the r3d files and conform to HD specs, will wiretap be "smart" enough to know to appropriately resize and crop from the source 4K size, or will it first render the image at HD and blow it up afterwards?

Obviously the former is preferable - so if wiretap won't do it automatically, what would you recommend?
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Wiretap will not understand the resize and scale the files for you.
You'll have to either load by selecting those clips or do a second XML with only those select shots in it and load that as 2k.
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

Thanks - we ended up resizing from full res by hand. In any case, now we know better than to resize all the source media as the same res for the FCP proxies :) Makes perfect sense, in hindsight.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report