Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"The Macintosh Experience"

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
arichards
161 Views, 2 Replies

"The Macintosh Experience"

Hi,

I've just watched part two of 'Smoke signals' and was very disconcerted to see that most of the buttons have disappeared from the right hand side of the interface in 'ConnectFX'. Like the new contextuals, do not like the silent disappearance of those pen-centric buttons. This was not spoken about then but the whole theme of this section was about responding to people at NAB. I really really do not understand why so much has to be (re)conceived on the basis of what new users say who really haven't had a chance to live with the logic. Why is this the mantra? I have never ever been a Smoke Linux user. I am fundamentally a user who came from the Mac move of Smoke. I do however 'love' (L.O.V.E.) the button interface. Why throw the baby out with the bathwater and why can't you have you cake and eat it. Just because somebody is brand spanking new to the software does not mean that they have the correct and over-arching perspective. How can it? This emotive plea for some conservation is not some stick in the mud fear of change (again I don't have the background in Smoke/Flame) but a real resonance that the button-centricity has evolved for a reason. Now all of a sudden they have gone because somebody who is drop-down-menu-centric intuitively expresses an opinion without trying it.

I have a graphics tablet as most existing users will have and these buttons are heaven. Yes keyboard shortcuts are quick, but sometimes I do not even have to reach for the keyboard. Bring back the buttons ("cake") and also have the drop-down and contextuals ("eat it"). There's only blank space there now for his almighty's sake so why not just leave the buttons. As an outside why not have a preference to have the buttons there if you want them, as apparently there's a preference for the swipe bars and the cross-hair. This is software that has evolved for the tablet as every current user knows, so why alienate them to warmly invite others? Those warmly invited might even get to love the button way of working.

I've also noticed icons creeping in instead of words. I can't understand why words are more alienating than icons. In Avid, for example, what does a weight lifter mean to a stranger? So people might not be used to buttons in most software, but at least words tells them there is something about this software that is a little bit bespoke (like LightWave and Softimage's similar wordy way?). Is it about language barriers (icons 'iconically' represent whereas words are about linguistic borders). Why not then have language options? If you were designing an editor from a blank slate without conventions, surely you would go for words and not arcane pictures? This is Advanced Capitalism not the hieroglyphic sign era of Ancient Egypt!

So a plea from me and it's sort of a no brainer. Don't alienate existing users too much. You can keep these things while still changing it substantially. I am quite the fan of the new interface, but if all the buttons are going to go and more and more icons are going to replace (2014, 2015) then isn't Autodesk M&E contradicting its own evolution.

You really can please new and old alike by treading a middle ground; you don't need listen to everything the new 'potential' user says. They may come to see that you were right, if you keep those buttons available.

I know those 2013 new ads (with the copyright deconstextualised white background and the soothing soft voice) have taken a loud leaf from Apple's own tree, but please don't let this new version fall too far from your own family tree! I do not see any danger of this turning into your own FCPX, but don't leave a slightly bitter taste in the mouth by throwing away too much of what made you you.

Cheers
Tony
HP Z840, 80GB Ram, Quadro M6000x24GB
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: arichards

Tony, do not forget that is beta pre-release and that certain functionality will be added later.
Message 3 of 3
skulley
in reply to: arichards

I agree the pen centric buttons need to make a comeback in someway.
Keep the pulldowns but maybe add a interface preference to bring in buttons or just plain add them back.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report