Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Progressive Timewarps

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
AlanMaiden
409 Views, 5 Replies

Progressive Timewarps

I have mentioned this before hoping it would get sorted but still no change. Progressive timewarps should not need to render or take up more memory in the machines. They are a form of repeat frames but I now have to sit and watch a 30 seconds clip, stretched to roughly half speed, take almost 2 minutes to render and use up valuable space on my frame store. Why.

I do multiple timecode conversions a day which an old FXGuide post suggested a really neat way of timewarping 25fps to 29.97fps which involves timewarping the clip to double length and reinterlacing the result which works really well but I am now having to sit for upto 6 mintues on a 90sec commercial to timewarp progressively which i have never done in the history of smoke. This is killing me. Is there any script I can run (as i did in 2011 & 2012) to remove this need to render.

Cheers

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ksirul
in reply to: AlanMaiden

I'm assuming you're on Mavericks?
Message 3 of 6
AlanMaiden
in reply to: ksirul

Not a chance. I will be giving Mavericks a very wide berth. Still running old mac pro tower on 10.8

Message 4 of 6
BKM
Advisor

There was a change to TW way back in 2012 or so.... 

TW were rendered becasue of a need for processed frames for transfer of the sequence to Lustre. Even on Flame 2015 you have to render TW.

Yes, we all agree that this is a poor workflow, even more so if you are not using Lustre. 

So the question now is, since Smoke 2015 is split from the Flame family of products and no longer shares sequences with Flame. It would be nice for the TW render to return to pre 2012 behavior. 

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
Message 5 of 6
AlanMaiden
in reply to: BKM

I was aware of the need for the frames to render for lustre but I have had a script since 2011 that disables this function and this has worked on 2011 and 2012 releases but no  longer works for 2015. Also FYI I am actually running the new FLAME ASSIST 2015 but will always be Smoke in my eyes. Sorry I'm old school op reluctant to become a Flame op 😉

Cheers

Message 6 of 6
BKM
Advisor

Yea.. the old setenv was removed. 

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report