Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with New Mac Pro

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
Anonymous
2470 Views, 18 Replies

Problem with New Mac Pro

Hello,

I am running Smoke 2015.0.1 on a new Mac Pro 3GHz 8-Core with 48GB of ram.

After working for a few hours the entire system locks up. Not just Smoke crashing, because i cant cmd+tab out of it. Full beach ball and i have to hard crash.

Has anyone else had any similar issues?

System temp is 122' which seems very hot. The machine is in a machine room at 68'

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

We are havinf similar issues.  However not our smoke system.

We have 2 New Mac Pro.  One is in the machine room for smoke.  Another one is in office for After Effect.

I don't have any issues on Smoke syetem.  After effect system has beem shutting down frequently. 

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous

Thanks. What are your specs/version/os and what IO box are you using?

We are using BMD Ultra Studio 4K and Pegasus R4 in Pro Res 4444 10bit cache with 16bit FP Graphics.

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous

I had a similar problem, but it was caused by enabling hardware anti-aliasing.  It is a known issue with the GPU's on the nMP.  The system would go into full lockup, the fan would spin very fast, and system temp went to about 122 degrees.  Your situation may be entirely different.

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous

Here is our system:

Mac Pro 2013 -

• Mac OS 10.9.2
  • 3.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 processor
  • 64GB RAM
  • Dual AMD FirePro D300

Sonnet Echo Express III-R (Thunderbolt 2)

Red Rocket (Drivers 1.4.36, Firmware 1.1.17.3)

AJA  Kona 3G (10.5.1)

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous

Do you have HWAA or hardware anti-aliasing enabled whilst in CFX?

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous

Thanks guys. The HW AA seems to be the problem.

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous

I'm noticing the same thing, 6.1 12 core, 10.9.3. Create an action in CFX, add (say) a teapot, turn shading on, attempt to rotate in Y, instant full system lockup requiring hard reboot. Turn off HWAA in CFX Prefs, seems fine.

A known problem apparently, but I can't see reference to it on the SP1 fixed and known bugs list. Are we antiicipating a solution to this known problem?

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous

The HWAA issue is documented on the Autodesk recommended hardware web page in the "comments" section:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert/card?siteID=123112&catID=18254205&id=18844534&product=1...

Early adapters of the new Mac Pro found this out the hard way, myself being one of the first.

Perhaps Robert can give us any updates on drivers or firmware that may fix this issue.  It's unfortunate that we can't utilize HWAA on the

AMD FirePro D700 GPU's as of yet.

Message 10 of 19
Anonymous

Hi everyone, sorry for wakeup this post, but we put the new macpro to work this week,
i dont make any hard work yet, i still using Smac 2013 in the old macpro,
but i had problems with Davinci Resolve, he just crash on the import page, and crash the whole system,
the guys at Blackmagic forum found that the problem is in the OS, they suggest to update to the Mavericks 10.9.4 beta,
after doing this the Resolve just stop crashing, someone think that could be the same problem, its a OS problem or Smac problem?

Thanks!

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23490

Message 11 of 19
moreymichael

I've been using the new MacPro for a few weeks now. No slowdowns, just some funny issues playing back in real time. Otherwise, seems to be working.

Cheers, Mike

Late 2013 MacPro, 10.9.5, 2.7 GHz 12-Core, 64GB ram, AMD D700, 1TB SSD
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: moreymichael

IS anyone playing back 3840X2160 10 bit DPX files in realtime?

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous

My system can't do it, not enough bandwidth.

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous

at what FrameRate?

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous

23.98fps or 24

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous

I do not know if the late 2013 Macpros can play that resolution at 23.976fps, I am in the process of configuring and testing mine.

HOWEVER . . .

I can achieve 24 fps playback of a single 3840x2160 10bit stream using a Fusion-io ioFX card within my 2012 Macpro5,1 system.  Actually I can achieve 34fps with that resolution and color depth.  The ioFX card is a similar concept to the PCI SSD within the new Macpros.  It is tied into the PCI bus versus the SATA bus.  However the ioFX cards have custom drivers, that is one of their selling points.  If playing that data set is a must, you might want to check out the Fusion-io product line.  The reason I have experience with Fusion-io is because I had to figure out how in the heck to play 2158x1806 anamorphic STEREO at 23.976fps.

Hope this helps.

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous

Anyone still using ioFX on a mac or other similar solution (Pcie based ssd)?

I use ioFx for years on Dell workstations and cant live without it on my workflow.
Now I''m trying to use it on a MacPro black cilinder, had to buy a sonet PCIe-thubderbolt case to put the iofx 1.6tb on it, but as Sandisk bought the company (fusion io) they discontiued iofx line and don't suport new macos updates like ElCapitan. They simply stop to update the driver since yosemite and it is not recognized by the system.

So now we are downgrading the macos to yosemite to work with ioFx, but I feel sometime it will be a problem not to upgrade the system.

Anyone know any alternative solution for ioFX with the same performance/storagesize for mac?

Thanks
romano

Mac Pro
12 core cpu
64 Gb RAM
1Tb flash Sdd
Dual Ati Radeon D700
Message 19 of 19
Anonymous

yes it seems the hw aa is the prob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report