Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem importing edl for the new autodesk book ch. 2

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
MilesKMcD
916 Views, 8 Replies

Problem importing edl for the new autodesk book ch. 2

I'm working through the new Autodesk Smoke Essentials book. I'm trying to do the first exercise after getting set up but importing the edl from the conform tab is not working. I can locate it no problem but the preview for it is blank, it says its 1 frame lang and when I try to import i just get a beep and nothing shows up in the conform panel. I'm also getting a unsupported timeline format error. I know my project is configured correctly. Any ideas? Could it possibly invlove an issue I had using my AJA card? Smoke wouldn't show all the differnet configs to use when seting up projects unless I opted to not use the card.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
BKM
Advisor
in reply to: MilesKMcD

Well, as the tech editor for the book, this concerns me. 

I just went through the CH 2 steps to load the "living Room" .edl. And it imported fine in to 2013 Ext 1.

I assume you are using 2013 still as 2015 isn't released yet. Are you using Ext 1?

I don't have an AJA card on my MBP, but that should affect the import of an edl.

The beep would obviously be an error... is there anything in the message list. Which is part of 2013 ext 1?

The Linging Room Scene .edl is 2.71kb

Could there have been an issue in the downloading of files or unzipping?

Any screen shots that might help?

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
Message 3 of 9
MilesKMcD
in reply to: BKM

Hey BKM, thanks for the response.

I am using smoke_2013.2.53. I tried redownloading the files but I get the same error, but they are the correct size. I attached a screen grab I took of the messages window. Any help would be great.

Message 4 of 9
BKM
Advisor

I think I found the issue.

The book is refering to the changes made in the EDL import vs XML import in 2015.

In 2013.2.53 the menu commands are a bit different.

It looks like you are trying to load it as an XML.. which is why you are getting wrong timeline format.

In CONFORM.. right click and choose. LOAD NEW EDL and see if that works.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Message 5 of 9
MilesKMcD
in reply to: BKM

Ahh, I assumed "Load New FCP XML/AAF..." ended in EDL. I'm attempting to use the load new EDL option but having some trouble navigating to the EDL. It doesn't seem to want to let me search anywhere but the directory for the project. My intuition is failing me in this tab, I'll find some tutorials and see how it goes. Thanks again and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Message 6 of 9
MilesKMcD

Great Success! On with the chapter. Thank you BKM

Message 7 of 9
BKM
Advisor

Awesome. Glad it's all ok

Flame/Smoke Editor
Message 8 of 9
jbireland

Hello,

I'm also having a few issues with importing EDL files.

Despite downloading all the relevant files and following the tutorial in the Smoke essentials book it seems that only the audio is linking and all the video is remaining unlinked (see screen shot)

It must be something I'm doing incorrectly but struggling to problem solve.  As I mentioned I've followed the steps outlined in the book but still keep getting the error.

Image 1 is with all match criteria off.

Image 2 is with match criteria/frame rate on.

Image 3 is with match criteria/source timecode on.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

J

Message 9 of 9
digiboy
in reply to: jbireland

I too am having a problem with the Lesson 2, of Autodesk Smoke Essentials book, EDL import in Smoke 2015. Please advise.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report