Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimize a Mac Pro to run Smoke 2015?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
adamt
951 Views, 9 Replies

Optimize a Mac Pro to run Smoke 2015?

Are there any recommended ways to optimize my Mac Pro  

(late 2013, 2.7ghz 12 core Xeon X5, 64gb dual AMD Firepro D700, osx10.9.4)

so that it will run Smoke 2015 ext1 correctly?

I couldnt find anything, but im sure there must be some caveats that need to be addressed.

Its getting really annoying to have such a powerful mac completely lock up when doing seemingly simple tasks (such as moving one direction along an axis (using Axis in Action) on a clip with one MK and three shapes within a single Gmask.

I can't even use the Servie Monitor to quit these crashes as it locks everything!

increasingly desperate to resolve this 

Adam

Flame 2020.3
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
davidtindale
in reply to: adamt

Turn off hardware antialiasing in CFX prefs, and make sure it's off in existing setups. That particular crash issue is entirely avoided by doing this.

Message 3 of 10
adamt
in reply to: davidtindale

thank you, david.

Fingers crossed it works - i just found 4xHWAA switched on in the offending cfx, so now its off.

adam

Flame 2020.3
Message 4 of 10
jamesgrean

10.10 Yosemite is rock solid and fast.

Moved to a new Mac which has 10.10.1, and and annoying bug comes up:
Control+left/right arrow keys no longer jumps to the beginning/end of the timeline or batch range. It's actually pretty annoying.

Hope this will be addressed in SP3.

So for now, move from 10.9 to 10.10, but not 10.10.1 if you manage to get a 10.10 installer without the .1 update.

Message 5 of 10
jaseo
in reply to: jamesgrean

Are they the shorcut keys that show up in the the shortcut editor? Have you had issues with other shortcuts? If so, maybe you need to disable some yosemite keyboard shortcuts that might be conflicting.

cheers

Jason

Message 6 of 10
adamt

i've read too many horror stories about upgrades to Yosemite screwing up other applications that im not even considering doing that!

Flame 2020.3
Message 7 of 10
jamesgrean

Adam, what other apps are you running? So far everything works on 10.10.1, including Arri tools, Red tools, Adobe, Smoke, etc.
The only exception I've come across is Nuke, which has issues with Thunderbolt, but AFAIK that's an issue not specific to Yosemite.
Everything I have runs smooth and fast!

Message 8 of 10
adamt

Once the current project is finished and out the door i'll probably look at upgrade to Yosemite. Certainly not going to risk it with a tight deadline looming!

Flame 2020.3
Message 9 of 10
svenbox2

I'm using Yosemite with 2015 SP2. All seems to work except for the backburner monitor page. Backburner still works so I'm not too bothered.

Sven

Message 10 of 10
jamesgrean
in reply to: svenbox2

There's a fix for the backburner thing on Yosemite somewhere on these forums I believe... can't find the link to it right now, but it's here I'm sure.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report