Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no more smoke on osx

66 REPLIES 66
Message 1 of 67
elvpost
2431 Views, 66 Replies

no more smoke on osx

I just heard that smoke on osx no longer exist.

is it true?

66 REPLIES 66
Message 2 of 67
joelosis
in reply to: elvpost

You heard wrong
Message 3 of 67
elvpost
in reply to: joelosis

so this not true.

but why a person from adsk came to my office today he told me that adsk will not release smoke 2014 osx.

HIs name is Brad Bowyer, he was Industry Sales Manager, ASEAN.

so I am wrong or he?

tell me the truth please.

Message 4 of 67
joelosis

If you were part of the beta you would quickly realise smoke is alive and well
Message 5 of 67
aditofx
in reply to: joelosis

If it comes from Brad Bowyer, Industry Sales Manager, ASEAN, it's probably true...

Message 6 of 67
joelosis
in reply to: aditofx

Can someone please step in and put this crap to rest?
Message 7 of 67
AlanMaiden

I think you'll find Smoke on linux can no longer be bought sperately it is only part of Flame Premium and smoke only exists seperately on mac now.

Does this help

Message 8 of 67
brad.bowyer

I am guessing this thread was started by you Bayu... Didnt see you today as you were in a session but briefed Debora... so can understand lost in translation. So here is what I said

1. There was no release of a Smoke 2014 at IBC this year

2. There were releases of our systems products and this is a focus for us at the moment.

3. There is as yet no official position on the future of Smoke and when or in what form the next release may take.

4. There is no qualification yet on the new MacPro and I dont know when that may happen

5. I am encouraging those thinking of Smoke Mac as a VFX focused solution to consider our systems products especially when doing 3 year ROI studies as I can give you solid information on those but have no certainty on Smoke Mac or the Platform it will be supporteed on.

I hope that clarifies for everyone. We do have a Beta program running, we are looking at what we want the next iteration to be but that has not been decided yet.

Message 9 of 67
brad.bowyer
in reply to: AlanMaiden

Actually at this time you can purchase Smoke Advanced (Linux), Flame, Lustre, Flame Premium ..and if you own a Flame then Flare. All these systems products are in active development and had 2014 release at IBC

Message 10 of 67
BKM
Advisor
in reply to: brad.bowyer

@brad.bowyer wrote:

1. There was no release of a Smoke 2014 at IBC this year

2. There were releases of our systems products and this is a focus for us at the moment.

3. There is as yet no official position on the future of Smoke and when or in what form the next release may take.

4. There is no qualification yet on the new MacPro and I dont know when that may happen

5. I am encouraging those thinking of Smoke Mac as a VFX focused solution to consider our systems products especially when doing 3 year ROI studies as I can give you solid information on those but have no certainty on Smoke Mac or the Platform it will be supporteed on.

I hope that clarifies for everyone. We do have a Beta program running, we are looking at what we want the next iteration to be but that has not been decided yet.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

None of these statements is very encouraging at all.  
Yes the beta is alive and well...The graphics changes in the new Mac Pro and Mavericks has thrown a wrench in things with how Smoke was originally coded to work with GPU.  It is unfortunate that this technical delay exists, but I am sure that things will get sorted out as soon as possible. That is my hope. 

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
Message 11 of 67
brad.bowyer
in reply to: BKM

sorry I cant be more encouraging on Smoke Mac at the moment. The concept behind the product of being an all in 1 editing and VFX solution was a solid one but yes there are issues with how this will be implemented and also work with future hardware... once more is known I and my colleagues will communicate soonest to our customers.

Message 12 of 67
julioleon

Why do people keep writing this stuff here...?  Isnt supposed to be a constructive read?  Dont we have a lot of work to do with our current software?

Smoke 2015 SP3
Mac Pro 6 cores
OS X 10.10
32 GB RAM
Message 13 of 67
jason
in reply to: julioleon

"None of these statements is very encouraging at all."

+1

Message 14 of 67
elvpost
in reply to: brad.bowyer

@Brad

FYI

MRS Debora is my partner, she is just running the office. she wouldnt understand about your system.

And Bayu is one of my freelance editor.

And I hope my investment on smoke osx is not a wasted.

Thanks

Message 15 of 67
brad.bowyer

I know many people have invested in smoke Mac and are doing good business with it (as I know you are) ... So in that respect i think anyone who put money in to it is currently getting value for that just as it stands today.

Sent from my iPhone
Message 16 of 67
mikeparsons

As the direction is uncertain can I put in a maintenance release request for smoke 2012 osx while decisions are made.
All's well that ends. That's why its called finishing.
Message 17 of 67
mark

I wonder if it's possible to get a refund on my subscription until ADSK can decide what they are doing. I feel like I am supporting develpoment of products I don't use, while Smoke dies on the vine. I would much ratehr put that monry into a Nuke/Hiero setup, as it seems they are activly develpoing the tools they sell, with no horse **** about not knowing the direction of their product.

I have been more or less patient with the lack of updates to this (in my opinion) fairly buggy software. But ADSK keep collecting my subscription payments. 

I think it's time someone from ADSK came clean about what the story is about Smoke. 

Message 18 of 67
BKM
Advisor
in reply to: mark

Before this gets way out of hand... there is still development going on.  There is an active beta right now. Flame 2014 SP2 was just released and that code and bug fixes should mirror Smoke 2014 when it is released. 

Mavericks & the redesign of the MacPro has casued a bump in software release.  Autodesks fiscal year ends in December so they would like to have it released by end of the year.  That may happen... even if it isn't optimized for Mac Pro or OSX 10.9.

This is all just an educated guess on my part.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Message 19 of 67
mark
in reply to: BKM

Thanks Brian,

But this what I am complaining about. This is an educated guess from you. ADSK reads these boards. How hard is it for them to just say Smoke is not dead? That the 2014 version WILL be released?

Message 20 of 67
BKM
Advisor
in reply to: mark

Being a publicly traded company, sometimes it is hard for them to give details, pro or con, about a release. 

Flame/Smoke Editor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report