Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mud 2015. The most problematic Ever

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
sergimen2001
888 Views, 14 Replies

Mud 2015. The most problematic Ever

Well I am tired, really tired.

The 2015 version fo Mud with the new functions in retopology,simmetry ,and so,promised to be very complete and the most functional at the momment for start modeling, not only sculpting in Mudbox. But...but...I never have seen a version with so many fails and bugs...Files that fil to open one and another times, several times with the message "An Unknow error was found and Mudbox will now close." ,and inclusive I have lost a work made in various hours...Simply I click in save Scene and I received the same message.After this, the mud file was deleted from my hard disk.

And now the last: I wanted to go down at the level 0 of an hi poly sculpted mesh for import a new improved UVs, in multiple UV tiles,for improve the resollution in the textures I wanted to paint, and when I back to up in the levels the mesh looks deformated in some areas..ruined. I could continue saying how many errors more I have found. But really I think is unusefull.I never obtained really help in the Area. But,when I see more and more people choosing Zbrush, now I know the reason.The anterior versions of Mud had lesser improvements, but worked well.The 2015 version, not. is the most unstable of all. I have instaled the Service pack 1 with the hope the problems will be solved, but no. The same.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

I understand your pain man. mudbox 2015 is the worst release. It's full of bugs like you said. its been 4 months since release, and still its not fully working. It's hard not to doubt the developers of Mudbox. Don't get me wrong I love Mudbox, its just that us Mudbox users are tired of dealing with bugs that shouldnt be there in the first place. to name a few - Mesh turning invisible on the highest subd, frequent file crashing on startup... etc
https://www.artstation.com/kelvintam
Message 3 of 15

I understand. But:

I have used Mudbox form it 1st version in 2009, and really when mud comes I was very enthusiast with it. At the point that I not liked another sculpt/texturing app algouth the others(zbrush), could have more modeling tools or capabilites. I like the interface simple and the good interop beetween max and mud.I had sure the better are coming. When I saw the new capabilities promoted in the 2015 version, I could not wait to use it. But, when I received the 1st crash, at opening a file, and again,and again,and again...I tough: "What happened to MUD??"

Next, I am working in another almost finished sculpt like I said in another post. I decided like I usually made in the anterior versions, make an multi tile version UVs in MAX and import the new uvs in the level 0 like ever. SURPRISE! When I up to level 1 and so the mesh looks plenty of glitches. Total Fail. I tried to import the base mesh with the new uvs but transfer details fails in the ear regions and eyelids. But I'm not Angry with Transfer details.Never was totally perfect. I am angry with something so simple like the Import uvs, that ever worked well in anterior versions...Now I have lost almos 4 weeks scultping, and sculpting morphs layer for face expressions...because I want to increase the texture resollution using Muti-Tile. Now I quit. I probed all, but really ALL.

You dont know how many things I probed to do. All the day for achieve the importing of the new uvs...

I have installed the Service Pack 1 inclusive. And all is the same. Errors in the opning in the files,again,again,again. and errors importing Uvs,again again...

Now I changed my enthusiasm with mud...Really now I feel like the things go very wrong with mud...

Message 4 of 15

I use Mudbox 2015 nearly every day, and have had very few issues working with it. I work on meshes that often involve 30-50 million polygons or more, and have used the retopology tools as well as transfer of sculpt and paint details between meshes as a regular part of my work flow without incident. To be clear, I believe you are having trouble, but I think the problems you are experiencing might be related to either the mesh you are working with, or hardware related issues. I'm not saying Mudbox isn't part of the problem, just that it seems to be specific to either the content or hardware used. But it could very well be specifically a Mudbox problem too. I just don't konw yet.

As I've indicated in another forum thread, I'd be happy to have a look at your files to see if I can duplicate the problems on my machine, or at least figure out what might be going wrong.

Beyond that, you can provide me with an exact, step by step use case that causes your issues so I can try to duplicate it on my end. I'm here to help.

Thanks.

Matthew Doyle
Technical Marketing Manager

-----------------------------

Area Blog: Game Dev Blog
Watch me on Youtube: Youtube.com/MatthewDoyleArt
Check out some of my work at: MatthewDoyle.com
Message 5 of 15
Griffs
in reply to: MatthewDoyleArt

I am having the same crashing problems. Just today I'm opening a file of 25mb only with 2 pieces of geometry of about 350,000 faces each and it crashed at the end of a retopology action and then 3 times in a row at start up. It's always crashing on me... 2014 was way more reliable...

Message 6 of 15
sergimen2001
in reply to: Griffs

Totally agree with you Griffs:

Mud 2014 was very most reliable,and stable than Mud 2015. But not have the symmetrical retopology and make simmetrical,options, so necessary in the 2014 version. For this reason when mud 2015 announced this new options all us changed mud 2014 for the 2015 version quickly, with the idea to take advantage of the simmetrical retopology,and so.

But now, with all these bugs,I feel we are at a dead end with mud 2015.

Message 7 of 15
Griffs
in reply to: sergimen2001

I just tried to open a file that is only 13mb and it crashed on the home screen!!

Very frustrating!

Message 8 of 15

Sorry Mathew, but I don't send models mine at nobody.

I not have problem with the Transfer Details.In other words, I always avoid to use it, because in hi poly levels not work well,(and I had probed and changed the parameters and meshes thounsands of times). Mi problem and dissapointing is with the Import UV option, that ever works well in 2014 versions and back, and now, I will lost almost a month of work because I need more UV resollution.

The most rare: when I started the model, near to finish, I made an UV import, and no problem. After, I decided save the work with a diferent name, because I continue sculpting with some asymmetrical features. And with this final version, the import UV option failed, totally. The only thing I think I did on this last version, and I believe could be the responsible for the UV import fail, is that I used the Set Topological Axis in this last version.

Here are images, of the model and the fail,(but this is not the only error,I suffered trying to fix the problem). I hate to show models wips.

The 1st is the model sculpted at level 5. The 2nd image is the UVs in a single tile for it. The 3rd are the new Uvs loaded with import uvs .(the bug is with this UV set,or every you try import,inclusive the original uvs)

Message 9 of 15

And this are the problem marked in red, after the UV import. The glitches start apearing when up to the level 1 and up.

And in the level 4 and up more glitches appears in the eyelids,like you can look in the other images.

Was almost a month of work lost.Because I have made the facial expressions in separated layers. The only is texturing it with the original UV set, but the texture resollution not will be at the quality of the scultp.

Of course, for take this screenshots I had to start 5 times Mudbox for acomplish to open the file,(and thesame happens with any other file near level 5 of complexity).

This is the 2nd work interrupted, with mudbox 2015, like passed with the Tyrion Lannister Bust, I shown in the Area. With the Tyrion Sculpt I quit to find the solution at the problems in the Maps extraction.( I post the problem in the Help Community forum).

And I have a 3rd work not finished with mud 2015.Remember the Clown modeling video I post for show the functionallity of modeling with retopology from standard primitives in Mud 2015? Well if you look the video in my youtube channell you will note that I not show the finished sculpt model. Well.thats is why the was definetively lost. When I was working on it, I click the Save escene Command in the File menu,and in that exact momment I received the terryfing message: "And unknow Error..." and the program close. When I opened Mud 2015 again, the model was not on my hard drive.I search all mi hard drive and the file was deleted aparently... 

Another week of work lost. 

Message 10 of 15
sergimen2001

Really,Instead of feeling hatred, I feel sadness for mud.

I feel Sadnes because I have used it from the begginings in the 2009 versions and I was hopeful that Mud would reach Zbrush,when I see the Simmetrical retopology,and their possibilities.

But now, looking all these that happens to Mud 2015, totally unstable, and making us to work with fear to losse weeks of work, and other apparent silly bugs that never have seen in the anterior versions. 

I beleve this could be the dead of mud. Especially because was presented the new version of Zbrush.Obviosly Zbrsh can be your own problems. I never used Zbrush, always I look the video tutors and the works made for Zbrush users. And I sow the problems that the Zbrush have too, like us. But this time, I never have seen so level of bugs in Zbrush and In another previous version of Mud.

Like I said:

All us, the Mudbox users, and all the people that supported Mud, are in a dead end.

Or continue working with fear to lost work or continue making incomplete works, or change to another sculpting soft.

I dont like to change another soft. Now, I dont like to start learning to use another soft. Speacilly Zbrus, due its complicated interface. 

But as things are difficult in this competitive world today

Message 11 of 15
sergimen2001

Look this other image:

This is another epic fail I had trying to import the uvs.

I exported the hi poly mesh like an OBJ.For after Open the obj in Mudbox and rebuild the subdivision levels. After rebuild the sudivision levels I went to level 0 for import the uvs.

Well, this time, the mesh no have glitches, but look the images of the UVs...

Really. What happened to MUD?

Message 12 of 15

Yeah those UVs look terrible. 🙂 Sorry you're experiencing this. One possible workaround though is to reimport the correct UVs into Mudbox after you rebuild the SubD levels. But it looks like you're having problems doing that as well.

I'm not really sure where to go form here without having a sample of your work to test on my own.  I recommend you report your problems using Mudbox's Help Menu->Report a Problem...

I feel your frustration, and wish I could do more to help.

Matthew Doyle
Technical Marketing Manager

-----------------------------

Area Blog: Game Dev Blog
Watch me on Youtube: Youtube.com/MatthewDoyleArt
Check out some of my work at: MatthewDoyle.com
Message 13 of 15

I was near to quit, and left this model incomplete...But finally I find a solution for obtain my new UVs loaded,(in this model at least).

I will share what I did in this particular problem tha have appeared. But remember me, when you vote again the artist of the year in The Area...Smiley LOL

I Made the this:

I export again the base mesh model from MAX with the new UV set in 2 tiles like I wanted.In OBJ.

Next I Open the basemesh with the new uvs in Mudbox.and saved it with a diferent name.

The Transfer Details always fails in certain areas because the form of the basemesh is very diferent to the original base mesh from MAX.

So, I previously in Mud:

I go to the most up level, with my facial expression layers off.(level 5 Subdivision)

Next, I selected the model and made File>Export Selection, and exported it in OBJ with the name Base-Sculpt OBJ.

Next I opened the Mud file with the basemesh from MAX with the new UVS and made Shift+D until subdivide it a level 5.

In the level 5 I clicked the > button in the sculpt layers windows options and selected Import layer.

In the File Dialog for selection I select the Base-Sculpt OBJ,and click Ok with the option Delta Base Mesh Layer On.

this way I have the base mesh with the new Uvs and a layer in the level 5. I make Rigth click and select Flatten. 

After this, I save the file.

I open the original sculpt that fails in import the UVs, and click: File>Import an Import the Mud file with the mesh at level 5 and new UVs. Now, the target mesh have exact form,(and in my case exact topology), that the source mesh.

I click Mesh>Transfer Details, and selected the New mesh with new uvs like target,and the original mesh a level 5 like source.

I set ON the option, Check both Sides, and reduced the Search Distance at only 0,10 .

After the transfer I have the new target mesh with the UVs I like, and no one artifacts in the surface.And with all the layers, and expression layers in their respective levels, like in my original mesh.

Now I have the super resollution I like. Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 15
sergimen2001

I have achieve my goal,Despite the errors in Mud 2015. 

Really my head was near to explode, but I won. 

But really...is necesary fix all these terrible bugs in mud 2015, because are very bad for Mud, if you want that Mud continue improving.

Remember the new version of Zbrush...

And remember me, when vote for the new Artist of the Year in the Area... Smiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 15

Import UVs doesn't really work from 3DSMax. The problem lies in Max, not Mudbox. Something in the way the obj import/export plugin is working out which UV is connected to which vertex is going wrong. There's dozens of reports of this.

I suggest reporting a bug from the Max help menu. The more times it's reported, the more chance it will get fixed.

Instead of importing UVs, you can try to import the whole new UVed mesh and transfer details from the original sculpt to this new UVed one.

I haven't really had a chance to use Mud 2015, so I'm not sure how buggy and crashy it might be. I'm sorry you're having such problems.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report