Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move project to new Mac, keep same Framestore, re-open project.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
jamesgrean
410 Views, 3 Replies

Move project to new Mac, keep same Framestore, re-open project.

Hi All,

Is it possible to do the following?

Smoke and a project are currently set up on a Mac Pro trashcan. Framestore is a Pegasus2 R6.

I want to move my Smoke license and the project to a new Mac Pro trashcan (have been using a loaner) then use the same Pegasus on the new machine with the same project.

Can I just back up the project, install Smoke on the new Machine, plug in the pegasus, copy back my project settings, and expect things to work? EG, just copy the usr/discreet folder?

Or do I have to go the whole hog and archive/de-archive?
I've got a lot of soft imports on the Pegasus that I would rather not double up on by archiving/caching, then de-archiving, as that essentially gives me 2x the media. I find on the Pegasus media doesn't need caching, as it's that fast.

Thanks all

James

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
yann.laforest
in reply to: jamesgrean

Hi,

Quite frankly it may work as long as the files structure is identical on your new workstation but this is definitively something we do not recommend because of the high risks of failure.

Archiving / Restoring is the safest solution in your case.

Please let me know if you have any other questions,

Regards,

Yann

Yann Laforest

Program Manager Data Analytics - Autodesk EMS
10 rue Duke Street
Montréal (Québec) Canada H3C 2L7
Message 3 of 4
jamesgrean
in reply to: yann.laforest

When you say file structure, do you mean for the media or for the Smoke install?

Both Macs are/were brand new, Yosemite, with a Smoke 2015.SP2 install, and not much else other than photoshop and some video codecs. All media is on the RAID. So I can't imagine the usr/discreet folders would be too different? Other than clip library references, but that's what I want to copy.

Would it be worth a try, in order to save a round trip archive/de-archive time of 4hrs? It it works I've saved hours, and if it doesn't work, I just uninstall completely (remove all Smoke directories for a full clean), reinstall and then do it the long way.

Message 4 of 4
davidjahns
in reply to: jamesgrean

(I'm assuming you were running Smoke-Yosemite ok?  If so, that's good news.)

Could you just clone your old boot drive onto the new machine?

There might be some licensing issues, as it's tied to your ethernet hardware MAC.  If you can sort that out though the license transfer utility, I can't imagine why cloning the drive wouldn't work for keeping project files and media intact.

(I have used Carbon Copy Cloner for such tasks, and it's been solid.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report