Flame Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Flame Family (Flame, Flare, Flame Assist, Lustre) Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Flame topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mounting a windows share on Linux Red Hat...

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1137 Views, 5 Replies

Mounting a windows share on Linux Red Hat...

Hi folks,

I'm brand new to Linux, so please bear with me.  I need to mount a windows NFS shared folder on my Flame system.  I am entering this basic string in the console to accomplish this, and I think I'm close, but am wondering if I have the protocol correct.l..ie,. all the spaces and commas and such are correct, as well as the calls.  Anyone familiar see a problem here?  Anything missing?  Any help would be greatly appreciated...

# mount -t cifs -o username=<username> , password=<password> , domain=<domain name> //<WIN PC IP>/<sharename>/mnt

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Beau_James
in reply to: Anonymous

Shannon, long time no talk 😉

take the spaces out before the commas

put a space between the share and your mount point.  So instaed of <sharename>/mnt make it <sharename> /mnt.

Also, don't mount to /mnt.  make a directory in /mnt and mount to there like mkdir -m 777 -p /mnt/samba

and mount to /mnt/samba

let me know if that works.  if not i'll look over the string a little more and see if I see an issue with your info.  Also, what error are you getting.

Also...https://access.redhat.com/solutions/448263

Beau

Message 3 of 6
ManChicken

As Beau says, yours should look more like:

mkdir /mnt/sharename

mount -t cifs -o username=foo,password=bar,domain=blah //winservername/sharename /mnt/sharename

filling in all the foo/bar/blah/winservername/sharename as approriate.

However I configure it from /etc/fstab so I can just do "mount /mnt/sharename" and not have to remember everything else or write a separate script to do it.  First making sure /mnt/Spark/Jobs already exists (mkdir as root once first), my fstab looks something like:

//spark/Jobs  /mnt/Spark/Jobs  cifs  credentials=/root/.cifs_creds,uid=bobm,gid=users  0  0

uid/gid is my username/group I login to the Flame workstation as so that files/dirs all look like they are owned by me.

/root/.cifs_creds contains:

username=bobm
password=whatever

This way my server password is in a protected file owned by root rather than in world-readable fstab.

Then as I said it's just a matter of doing "sudo mount /mnt/Spark/Jobs" when I need it.

Bob Maple | idolum
Message 4 of 6
Beau_James
in reply to: ManChicken

I just made a user account on my windows box called test with the password test.  Then I shared a folder names Movies.  I then added that user named test to the share with read and right access.

Then from flame I typed the following:

Mkdir –m 777 –p /mnt/test

Mount –cifs //ipaddress/Movies /mnt/test –o username=test,password=test

Obviously, i left out the domain since i am on a test box.  And it mounted right away.  give it a try

try that, if not if you can get me a teamviewer session up on the win box and the flame, i can jump on when i'm off this case.

Message 5 of 6
IgorRidanovic

Windows shares should also be visible in Dolphin.

Message 6 of 6
Beau_James
in reply to: Beau_James

Quick correction.

Mount –cifs //ipaddress/Movies /mnt/test –o username=test,password=test

should be

mount –t cifs //ipaddress/Movies /mnt/test –o username=test,password=test

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report