Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac Yosemite

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
jkfriesen
2817 Views, 13 Replies

Mac Yosemite

Yikes! Here comes another OS upgrade this fall.  Does Autodesk anticipate any difficulty with Smoke's compatability with Yosemite like it had with Mavericks?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Grant.Kay
in reply to: jkfriesen

Hi,

I am not in the development team but what I do know is that Apple announced it yesterday and it has only been made available to everyone as of yesterday.

It is too soon to speculate anything… Especially with the 1st beta release.

Regards
Grant

Grant Kay
Principal Learning Content Developer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Official Autodesk Flame Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/flamehowtos

The Official Autodesk Smoke Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos

Also available as podcasts on iTunes

Follow me on twitter @discreetuk for the latest training updates.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 14
ksirul

WTF?  Is this an addition to Mavericks or a replacement?

Message 4 of 14
Robert.Adam
in reply to: ksirul

It's a new major release of OS X and, as Grant has said, we have not yet begun to test Smoke on it, since this is early beta stages.

Regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 5 of 14
ksirul
in reply to: Robert.Adam

Believe me, I have no desire to go anywhere near that considering all the headaches I had with Mavericks 10.9.2 coming with my new MacPro and having issues with every app I'm running on this thing.  

Message 6 of 14
ManChicken
in reply to: ksirul

Oh, come on! It's going to be awesome! New icons and Windows 8 look! More transparent windows (or something!) More proprietary!

Smiley LOL

Bob Maple | idolum
Message 7 of 14
jkfriesen
in reply to: ManChicken

I'm sure it will be marvelous with all sorts of cute icons and such, but my main concern is Apple doesn't throw Autodesk a major curve like they did with Mavericks.  Of course, like they have said, nobody knows what's happening untill Apple releases it to the developers.  Let's hope this new language Apple calls "Swift" (I think) isn't more of a pain than a help.

Message 8 of 14
dcnblues

Bump. I'm assuming, as there's zero discussion about Yosemite even though it was just released, that Smoke isn't ready for the update yet. I don't care that much as it looks to be an ugly UI. But I would like to know the conventional wisdom. Is it to hold off, and in a few months Smoke will be ready?
Message 9 of 14
helgetjelta
in reply to: dcnblues

Well it runs nicely on my macbook pro... have not yet updated my macpro D700 yet...

Message 10 of 14

I'm running Yosemite on my iMac and it's working well. I haven't tried rendering but everything seems normal and safe. 🙂 

Message 11 of 14

Any official word from Autodesk on Yosemite?

A facility I freelance at was about to purchase another Mac Pro - but now they're going to come pre-loaded with Yosemite.

Message 12 of 14
yann.laforest
in reply to: jamesgrean

Hi James,

Yosemite is still not an official supported OS for Smoke and Flame Assist.

An official announcement will be made when this Operating System will be supported but there is no ETA we can provide about when it is going to happen at this point.

Regards,

Yann

Yann Laforest

Program Manager Data Analytics - Autodesk EMS
10 rue Duke Street
Montréal (Québec) Canada H3C 2L7
Message 13 of 14

So, I am trying to export a video from Smoke, and I'm only getting audio and black screen. I'm a bit of a newbie, so I might be trying to export it incorrectly, but I've exported before with no issues. I have the cursor on the top video layer and then go to file>export>movie, etc. 

Does anyone have any idea of whether I'm doing something wrong, or whether this is just an issue with Yosemite and Smoke? 

Thanks!

Message 14 of 14

Try and export a clip of Bars/Tone to see if it works. Smoke 2015 isn't officially supported on Yosemite

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report