Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Library Folder Behaviour

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
facenorth
586 Views, 6 Replies

Library Folder Behaviour

I can't remember if I've posted this before. But just noticed that the same thing happens in 2015 SP2 perpetual.

If you have a file structure on a server such as; /sh001/dpx/man_gets_confused.00000000.dpx and you drag the top folder (sh001) into a smoke library, you get /sh001/dpx/man_gets_confused.001.00000000

Good!

Now if you navigate to /sh002/dpx/man_gets_really_annoyed.00000000.dpx and drag the top folder (sh002) into any Library or folder in smoke, you get an empty /sh002 folder and your clip called man_gets_really_annoyed.000000000.dpx ends up inside /sh001/dpx/

This is not cool. Also not cool if you hit Ctrl+z as it removes man_gets_confused too!

Is this mean't to happen? How do you make it stop without having to navigate carefully through every subfolder and drag each clip induvidually.

Cheers,

Angus

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Grant.Kay
in reply to: facenorth

I have seen this before and I was aware that it was reported.

My only suggestion instead of going through each and every folder is to go to the root folder with all your sub-folders with media and press SCAN SUB-DIRECTORIES.This should surface all the clips from the folders and than you can drag them into the Media Panel.

I don't believe it will create the folder structure but it will help save on importing time.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Grant

Grant Kay
Principal Learning Content Developer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Official Autodesk Flame Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/flamehowtos

The Official Autodesk Smoke Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos

Also available as podcasts on iTunes

Follow me on twitter @discreetuk for the latest training updates.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 7
facenorth
in reply to: Grant.Kay

I appreciate your suggestion - but in the case of, say, an EXR render from 3D where the clip description is in the folder structure and the file sequences are just named beauty.exr or ao.exr - it doesn't work to ignore the folder structure.

Is there a plan to fix this? I believe it's a problem that should be solved, not worked around.

Thanks,

Angus

Message 4 of 7
Grant.Kay

I don't disagree with you at all. I would like this fixed too.

I was just suggesting a way to get clips from multiple folders without drilling into the folder tree in the current release. But I understand your CGI user case.

Regards
Grant

Grant Kay
Principal Learning Content Developer

The Official Autodesk Flame Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/flamehowtos

The Official Autodesk Smoke Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos

Also available as podcasts on iTunes

Follow me on twitter @discreetuk for the latest training updates.
Message 5 of 7
mikeparsons

To use this workflow suggested by grant rather than scanning all from the root simply go as deep as the shot root eg sh001 and scan those dub directories. Create a names folder in the library and drag across.
I hate that maya 3d guys still dont name their passes properly with a leading shot name and version number and I make them rename files before supplying to me to avoid insanity. It works for me as I'm paying for the 3d so they have to do what I say or I moan.
All's well that ends. That's why its called finishing.
Message 6 of 7
facenorth
in reply to: mikeparsons

Another note regarding this.

When you do drag a folder with a name that already exists in your library don't hit Ctrl+z (undo) because that will cause the folder with the same name and all it's original contents to be deleted too.

The best way is to make sure none of the source material has common folder names within the hierarchy.

Cheers,

Angus

Message 7 of 7
mikeparsons

Which of course is impossible (without making life unbearably hard) in at least two scenarios;

1- cg renders

2- regraded rushes

All's well that ends. That's why its called finishing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report