With new tools to power your pipeline
Discussion Groups

General Discussion

serafino.alessio

Issue exporting Normal Maps for Maya

83 Views, 1 Replies
04-17-2014 03:15 PM

Hi everyone!
I'm a total beginner on sculpting in Mudbox and there must be something wrong on my Maya/Mudbox workflow. In order to be clear I have got an example:
I was going to model a simple ground terrain and I started with a plane on which I messed up a bit with the "Sculpt polygon tool" in Maya and laid out the UVs. 

Then I exported the obj and imported in mudbox to add some details on it.

Once happy with it I created the normal map (4k, .tiff, 16 bit), on the picture the map has been already created.
In Maya I used a mia_material_x with my normal texture mapped in "standard bump" with the option "tangent space normal" and with the filter off. This is the result after a render with mental ray and Phisical Sun&Sky. 

It seems like the normal map has a bit of a blur or something like that, therefor there is clearly something that I do wrong and I would like to have your opinions about it. Thanks in advance!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
fade1

Re: Issue exporting Normal Maps for Maya

04-19-2014 07:04 AM in reply to: serafino.alessio
I think this looks ok. You are using two different shaders, so this is hard to speak about details. Plus you can't compare render pictures with realtime/viewport renderings.
Please use plain text.