Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMac 5k?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
mattjacksonvfx
1942 Views, 8 Replies

iMac 5k?

Hello. Was thinking about smoke on Mac.... And the new 5k iMac. Has anyone tried this? Wondered if the GUI will scale properly if the ability to view 1-1 pixel on larger images helps?

Matt 🙂
Tags (3)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

I'll be able to let you know next week 😉

Message 3 of 9

Nice! Look forward to hearing about it.
Message 4 of 9

Ok, So I've now got Smoke 2015 desktop on the 5k imac. Apart from the buttons looking very pixelated now I didn't notice that much diffirence initially- until this morninig when i restored one of my old settups and now the thing is kernal panic-ing all over the place. The entire machine comes to a hault with graphics errors nearly everytime I click on a menu in Smoke. I know it's not certified yet, so can't complain...mind you after effects runs very nicely.

Message 5 of 9

Wow... Total meltdown. Did you solve this with a restart? Or is it now unusable? I guess the GUI hasn't had its icons made ready for 5k scaling. Im guessing you have another mac....Does the interface scale OK on retina? I wonder if they'll release a newer version with high rez menus etc. Thanks for reporting back tho. 🙂
Message 6 of 9

Yeah surprisingly the interface scales no problem on the 5k- like you say though the text isnt exactly 5k ready 😉

I did end up fixing my problem by unlinking everything in that sequence and re-linking it...it had come over from another machine so had potentially got it's knickers in a twist there. Everything has been fine this afternoon!

Message 7 of 9
myeffigy
in reply to: Ant_Brownmoore

Can you share the spec of your new imac 5k and when you get a chance, performance?

Are you using an external raid, or the flash ram?

BTW, my 5k has been ordered. Expecting it soon !!!

Message 8 of 9
mattjacksonvfx
in reply to: myeffigy

hey ant!

any chance i could come and check out your 5k? i may still be up for getting one, but wanted to have a look at yours

no probs if not.

cheers Matt

mattjacksonvfx.co.uk

Message 9 of 9

Hey Matt,

Sure thing, send me a private message and we'll sort something out.

-As a bit of an update after a full week working with the girl now I've come to realise the Graphics are casuing a major unstability in smoke. It will frequenctly lock the entire system, with the OS reproting a serious graphics error occured upon restart. Worth nothing that this is only happening whist using smoke- Matchbox plugins seem to be very unhappy on it, with the effects sliders sometimes having a delay of up to 3 seconds while changing values.

The Specs are as follows:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)

3.5 GHz Intel Core i5

32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report