Flame Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Flame Family (Flame, Flare, Flame Assist, Lustre) Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Flame topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File export times

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
vkshah
437 Views, 6 Replies

File export times

I have a 45 minute timeline that is taking a a very long time to render. It's taking close to 90 mins to make a 1080p ProRes file with stereo audio. There are some batch fx and some timeline fx. All of the media is reading from a SAN and exporting to a Raid 0 drive with plenty of free space. Is this normal? Does any have any tips to speed up the export? I have restarted multiple times and still no luck on faster exports.

We have a Flame Assist 2015 on a MacPro 5,1 , 40 gigs Ram. OS 10.7.5.
VK
Online Editor & Colorist
Flame Assist on Mac 2017
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
MoodyGlasgow
in reply to: vkshah

I'm guessing the reason is that you haven't cached the files. What is the read speed off that SAN? Whats the write speed on the RAID?
Moody Glasgow
Flame Artist
Message 3 of 7
vkshah
in reply to: MoodyGlasgow

Thanks for the reply Moody. The speed on our San and raid drives are fast, we don't have issues with other NLE'E. I did cache the sequence, but after it was cached, the column description reads 'mixed' not ' cached'. The export time for a 16 min sequence was 20 minutes versus the 40 minutes before. So the caching did help. Are here any other ways to speed it up? I know in FCP7, a fully rendered sequence of this length can take just a few minutes.

VK
Online Editor & Colorist
Flame Assist on Mac 2017
Message 4 of 7
Grant.Kay

Hi

What have you set the project intermediates to?

If you are working in RAW or DPX... even if your original material is ProRES, all the renders will be uncompressed RAW data... these files are much larger and require a very high data rate...

Regards
Grant

Grant Kay
Principal Learning Content Developer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Official Autodesk Flame Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/flamehowtos

The Official Autodesk Smoke Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos

Also available as podcasts on iTunes

Follow me on twitter @discreetuk for the latest training updates.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 7
vkshah
in reply to: Grant.Kay

When I start a new project, I set up the cache/renders to what my final file will be. In this case, it is set to ProRes.
VK
Online Editor & Colorist
Flame Assist on Mac 2017
Message 6 of 7
vkshah

I'm exporting another 30 minute sequence that's been fully cached and rendered to an internal Raid 0 drive, and I am still have long export times. The 30 minute sequence is currently at 35% and it's been 20 minutes. Every shot has an effects and many have green screen keys in the sequence, but an hour long estimate seems abnormally long.
VK
Online Editor & Colorist
Flame Assist on Mac 2017
Message 7 of 7
vkshah

I tried an export on another flame assist bay and that export was much much faster. We're going to contact Autodesk support for a solution.
VK
Online Editor & Colorist
Flame Assist on Mac 2017

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report