Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error "Failed to Initialize Stone + Wire connection

42 REPLIES 42
Message 1 of 43
Anonymous
1907 Views, 42 Replies

error "Failed to Initialize Stone + Wire connection

I've gone into common utilities and tried to restart stone + wire, it restarts then shuts down. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Smoke 2013.
It will not let me start up

I am running a mac pro, duel quad core 2.26 with 12 GB ram, Mac os X 10.6.8 in 64bit, Radeon HD 4870 Video card

Please help ASAP

Thank you
Butch Hirsch
butchhirschproductions@gmail.com
843-415-2256
42 REPLIES 42
Message 41 of 43
minefilms
in reply to: Anonymous

check your /etc/hosts

the first line should be

127.0.0.1 localhost

if its not there, copy the hosts file to your desktop, open it in TextEdit and add the line, then close it and copy it back to /etc
replace the file.

Maybe that will help?
Message 42 of 43
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I managed to fix this or the framestore ID 0 - issue - or the fact that the stone and wire would not start. I struggled with this for quite a few hours - and also re-installed the machine - and also tried removing and re-installing smoke 2013 sp2 several times - and it ended up being a silly little fix. I searched online regarding this issue and all tips pointed to the same things - mainly setting a persistent hostname - and checking the sw_config and sw_framestore config files. But following those tips don't solve the problem for most - according to what I have read online. It turns out that running the scutil --set HostName Bobs-Mac (for example) does set the hostname - but it doesn't set it everywhere.

You need to set the hostname - or check that its also set - in the system preferences - sharing section - there you will see computer name - and it must be set to the same as the hostname - and also add in the hostname to the /etc/hosts file as a separate line - something like
127.0.0.1 Bobs-Mac

So you should have 127.0.0.1 localhost with some other lines - then add in a new line at the end.

I am actually not sure if editing the hosts file is needed - as I did both these at the same time (adding the hostname in system preferences sharing - and in the hosts file).

This fixed it for me. So set the persistent hostname following the Autodesk guide - then go and check that its actually set in system preferences and not only by running "hostname" in terminal.

Then - uninstall - reboot - re-install - reboot and then you be good to go.
Message 43 of 43
Anonymous
in reply to: minefilms

Thank you!  Solved my problem. ... after about 4 unsuccesful threads.

@minefilms wrote:
check your /etc/hosts

the first line should be

127.0.0.1 localhost

if its not there, copy the hosts file to your desktop, open it in TextEdit and add the line, then close it and copy it back to /etc
replace the file.

Maybe that will help?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report