Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did "Link Transition" go away?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
ad.lo
638 Views, 5 Replies

Did "Link Transition" go away?

I used to be able to grab elements from one sequence and copy them for use in another with the option to toggle on "Link Transition" if I wanted to keep the dissovle that was in the source sequence.

I'm not seeing that option in 2015, and have to make sure I've actually selected the dissolve.

Has this option been removed or am I missing something.

Not a huge problem, mostly curious.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
joelosis
in reply to: ad.lo

not sure if its gone away or not, but the way i do it is i select my clip/clips then press shift on one of the clips and it will include the transitions with your selection
Message 3 of 6
Grant.Kay
in reply to: joelosis

Hi,

The actual button has been replaced with a more gestural way of working.   It means you dont have to toggle the button on and off all the time.

If you place your cursor on either side of a cut, it will trim only the head or tail of the segment.   This is the same as link transiton on.

If you place your cursor over the actual cut and drag, the cursor locks both head and tail and you and adjust the dit.   This the same as link transition on.

Regards

Grant

Grant Kay
Principal Learning Content Developer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Official Autodesk Flame Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/flamehowtos

The Official Autodesk Smoke Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos

Also available as podcasts on iTunes

Follow me on twitter @discreetuk for the latest training updates.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 6
ad.lo
in reply to: Grant.Kay

Thanks guys.  I guess I'm not even really talking about a true transition between 2 pieces of media such as a centered dissolve.  The issue I'm having is more about what happens if you have a single clip (say a graphic) on top of another with a dissolve from cut - which serves the purpose of a fade-in on the graphic.  It used to be that I could just click on this one clip and if Link Transition was enabled when I (F drag) copied that clip to the Source Area the dissolve would stay with it.  This was a useful and fast workflow for pulling elements from one sequence to use with another one - particularly titles.

Now I seem to have to click on the clip and then shift click on the dissolve in order to keep the dissolve attached to the clip when I copy it.

Obviously not a huge deal, I'm just trying to get up to speed on 2015 and when I encounter these little differences, I feel the need to figure out if I'm doing something wrong, if the functionality has changed, or if I just need to get over it.

Message 5 of 6
Grant.Kay
in reply to: ad.lo

Ahhh.. sorry its been a while since I used the old version.

What I was refering to was actually applicable to Link CUT.  Please accept my apologies.

Yes, LINK TRANSITION is related to keeping the transition (like a dissolve) with the segment.

That did infact go away because we change the fundamentals of the timeline from segment based to transition based when it came to editorial and trimmimg.

To cut a long story short, in order to boost the editorial trimming capability such as the trim view and more gestrual editing, the change was necessary.

So to answer your question, since the segment is no longer responsible for the transition, you need to multi-select the segment and transition before copying it to ensure that the transition is part of the copy to the library.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Grant

Grant Kay
Principal Learning Content Developer

The Official Autodesk Flame Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/flamehowtos

The Official Autodesk Smoke Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos

Also available as podcasts on iTunes

Follow me on twitter @discreetuk for the latest training updates.
Message 6 of 6
ad.lo
in reply to: Grant.Kay

Thanks Grant.

So much for progress!  But no, I get it, and it's not that big of a deal.

I guess I've always thought of working in Smoke as being akin to playing a musical instrument. When you get proficient, you don't actually even think about what you're doing, you just do it.

Now I have to learn that C-major triad all over again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report