Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

create blendshapes for face in low-poly or high-poly, pros/cons?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
MayaWannabe
630 Views, 1 Reply

create blendshapes for face in low-poly or high-poly, pros/cons?

I've got a low-poly body with a separate body, head, eyes, eyelids, pupils, eyebrows.

I'd like to create blendshapes of the head in Mudbox 2011 for use in 3ds 2011 (maybe 2012 later).

I've never created facial morphs, so ... even though this may be a dumb question ...

I'm not an experienced Mudbox artist, I had an artist create my model of Elmer Fudd.

It SEEMS logical that I could sculpt better morphs better for an L3 mesh.

But, not having done it, I could be totally mistaken?

What are the pros/cons of sculpting with an L3 head?

Thanks!
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
A.Baroody
in reply to: MayaWannabe

A good basic rule to remember is that the more polygons you have in your base mesh, the better performance you will get out of the model. You also dont want more than is necessary or more than your computer or pipeline can handle.

For animation in film for example, characters will be very high in polygon count on the base mesh because you want to capture the main features of the face as it deforms on the base layer

You could morph L3, but just remember that L3 is the level you're exporting for shape animation and it will be the base level of your model in your 3d program.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report