Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could someone PLEASE fix the SD field order issue in perpetual? PLEASE.

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
mark
724 Views, 7 Replies

Could someone PLEASE fix the SD field order issue in perpetual? PLEASE.

Every job I do gets kicked back because my rather expensive software tool can't do one of the most basic things needed to finish for broadcast.

Get yo sh!t together!

Please?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
yann.laforest
in reply to: mark

Hi Mark,

Did you open a ticket / case with our Technical Department for this?

If so, is there a ticket / case number I can refer to?

Please let me know,

Regards,

Yann

Yann Laforest

Program Manager Data Analytics - Autodesk EMS
10 rue Duke Street
Montréal (Québec) Canada H3C 2L7
Message 3 of 8
mark
in reply to: yann.laforest

Hi Yann,

I have messaged you off list.

This is a complete clusterF. I hope you can help.

It's gotten to the point where my wife wonders why I don't jump to NukeS. My WIFE!

If she knows this product is messed up, imagine how my clients view me and my 'tool'.

Message 4 of 8
dalyj

Hi,

A case has been created with the Support team and someone will contact you shortly to investigate/troubleshoot.

Regards,

Jason

Jason Daly
Manager, Designated Support
Message 5 of 8
davidtindale
in reply to: dalyj

I don't have a fix, but maybe a workaround.

I tried exporting NTSC F2, and reimporting it, it comes back in and says it's F2, however Compressor reports it as upper (F1).

I used Reformat (right click on clip) to force dominance to F1 inside Smoke, then exported again - now Compressor reports the clip as F2 (lower).  Go figure.

Message 6 of 8
mark
in reply to: davidtindale

I was on a call this morning with ADSK, and as it turns out, the system is not broken. It's a confusion in terms.

The way it was explained to me (and I am not completely grasping the usage) is thus:

The F1/F2 info on the clip does not stand for dominance in the way you would expect. But the '1' essintialy stands for "correct" or "default". So, create an HD clip 1920X1080 @29.97/59.94 and the the default field order should be upper first, or as we have been used to seeing it "f1" (note the small f). If you select F1 as the system defaults to, you get an HD clip running at 29.97 fps f1 (upper first). The default for HD. F1.

If you create an SD clip, the system will default to 720X486 @29.97. Now if you want the default, lower field first (f2), you need to select F1. The thinking is, that the default order is f2.

To think of it another way... F1 = standard default.  F1≠ (f)ield 1

I hope that is clear. It took me a while to understand, and quite frankly it is confusing> I would love for the UI to be a little clearer.

Thanks to Yann, JF and Catalan (sp?) at Autodesk for diving into this.

Message 7 of 8
davidtindale

I'm glad you got to the bottom of this Mark, but would agree that this is not intuitive behaviour. The kind of people that use Smoke know about field dominance (or should do), and the software should report a clip's status correctly in industry standard terms.

Message 8 of 8
davidjahns
in reply to: davidtindale

Hmm - I'm calling BS on that. I've been using Smoke since 2012 version, and they way it handles SD has changed with every version.

F1 and F2 have always stood for field 1 dominant, and field 2 dom. Smoke's default setting was always F1, which was industry standard for 486 video, and NTSC 480 DV was F2. Then FCP came along and made all of NTSC F2 dominant (even 486), and the distributors started requiring F2 dominance - and Smoke had to do a bunch of intermediate renders to get there.

Now, when Smoke2015 says F1, it really is field 2 dominant - export it into FCP and it plays fine to a SD monitor. (And FCP reads it as Lower dominant, where it used to read F1 files as Upper.

Ok - silly workaround, Resize to NTSC, add pulldown, then export Prores and you're done - that's better - but convoluted!

But here's why I'm calling BS... Because that 29.97 F1 (field 2) WON'T PLAY PROPERLY OUT OF SMOKE!!!! Smoke is still expecting field 1 dominance, and it can't play out it's own renders!!!!

Yes, SD is finally going away - but it's not gone yet!!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report