Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting back to T-spline for export

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
philnolan3d
984 Views, 9 Replies

Converting back to T-spline for export

It's cool that Fusion has the option to convert the poly / sub-D (t-spline) models to surfaces and solids but I'd really love if it had the option to go back. It would be great too to have some standard poly / sub-D export options like .LWO. I'm thinking in particular of MOI. It has a really nice converter so that I could work on a model using CAD tools, then save it out as an LWO and continue working on it in LightWave. This would be nice as I prefer the tools in LightWave and LWCad, but sometimes CAD specific tools are easier. Plus I have some nice tools in LW for checking the thickness to make sure it's OK for printing.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
colin.smith
in reply to: philnolan3d

Hi Phil, 

Thanks for the suggestion.  While I can understand why you would want an option to output LWO files for Lightwave work it is the first time I've heard the request.  Can Lightwave take in IGES or STEP files?  What it he advantage that you would see from using a LWO file?

Thanks

Colin

Colin Smith
Sr. Product Manager
SketchBook
Alias Create VR (aka Project Sugarhill)
Automotive & Conceptual Design Group
Message 3 of 10
philnolan3d
in reply to: colin.smith

No LightWave does not support Iges or Step. It does have a third party plug in to support STL, but it's better to be native. Aside from convenience LWO is probably the most versitle object format out there, supporting texture information, vertex info like morphs and colors, multiple object layers. It's supported by many other software packages as well. It just makes sense to me to use it.

I gave up on Fusion 360 anyway. MoI3D offered me a better experience as was a lot cheaper.

Message 4 of 10
schneik-adsk

What was the price you paid for MOI?
Kevin Schneider
Message 5 of 10
dccshazam

Different reason for the same functionality request.

I have a solid model I would like to modify with T-Splines. The model needs just a vew faces to be modified and I do not have the parametric model (even if I did, I would rather edit with t-splines) to make the needed changes.

A convert from b-rep faces/solid to T-Spline would be huge.

Thanks,

Dustin

Message 6 of 10
schneik-adsk
in reply to: dccshazam

Have you tried edit face in the modeling/modify tools?
Kevin Schneider
Message 7 of 10
dccshazam

Hi Kevin,

I have tried Edit Face, but it only allows for a single face. The part I have has many filleted edges, so I would need to select multiple faces for what I need to do. There is not a straight edge on this part and all I need to do is to move/rotate a face to get the part modified how I need it for the mold modification I am looking to have done.

I have also tried to use Move face and a few other operations with no luck.

Message 8 of 10
deyop

We are working on a Convert Face to T-Spline right now.  You will be able to select multiple faces and convert to T-Spline.  Each T-Spline will convert based on a the number of faces in length and width (Uniform) or based on deviation (Curvature).  Once converted the individual T-Splines are not a single topology.  They don't "know" what the continuity is at each edge like a T-Spline body does.

Will this help you?

T-SplineConvertFromFace.png

Message 9 of 10
schneik-adsk

Adding to Paul's reply...

Highly filleted models can be hard to modify ( especialy if they come from Pro/E AKA Creo). Sometimes I need to remove fillets in order to be able to modify the imported geometry. They re-apply the fillets.

Can you post an image of the mode and the desired change? I am sure we can help get the edits you want.

Kevin Schneider
Message 10 of 10
dccshazam
in reply to: deyop

That would be a great enhancement for sure. I understand the challenge of having the faces convert and still understand the continuity in t-splines.

I look forward to trying it out to see if it will work; however, I do not think it will work considering some of the faces I would be selecting are faces created by fillets. I do think there might be an acceptable workflow that may involve deleting some of the converted faces (after doing some sculpting) and rebuild some faces in the patch environment.

Thanks,
Dustin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report