Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Colour Warper Timeline Mode Broken?!?!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
ryan
594 Views, 9 Replies

Colour Warper Timeline Mode Broken?!?!

I often use the Colour Warper editor in timeline mode, meaning I can scub back and forth to compare my changes against adjoining shots' colour corrects.  I rarely use triptych because it makes the windows small and creates issues as diffeent areas of even good computer monitors can have slight colour temperature variations.

Problem in Smoke 2015 is, timeline mode in the corlour warper is dead broken.  I can scrub the timeline, but the frame doesn't update.  Worked in 2013.

I'm working with a 16b FP timeline, about half the bit depth as your average commercial color session.  Running a 3.2GHz i7, 32G RAM and thunderbolt RAID.  Rez is 1920 x 1080.

What's going on with this?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
KevinAdams6088
in reply to: ryan

I think the problem is you can no longer see the "player" when you enter the timeline modules.  They all behave like CFX in this manner which always bothered me with CFX in the first place.  Doing grading you want to be able to bounce around and see the timeline and layers while in the module itself.

Message 3 of 10
oczkowski
in reply to: KevinAdams6088

Yes!  This is a huge problem for me as well because you can no longer view the RGB waveforms during grading!  I really need to see those!

Message 4 of 10
joelosis
in reply to: oczkowski

im pretty sure all of this functionality changed when they updated the player in flame for 2014 which in turn got passed into smoke, if scopes are what u are missing i would recommend

http://www.divergentmedia.com/scopebox
Message 5 of 10
Grant.Kay
in reply to: joelosis

Hi All,

I am aware that we cant see the Waveforms when you are in the colour warper because the Colour Warper behaves the same as in CFX.   However it is possible to access most of the colour warper controls from the timeline level without having to go into the Colour Warper.  You can see the scopes next to the viewer in this layout.

As for the Colour Warper not working at all, I have tried it in a sequence and I am not having any unexpected updating issues that are described.

The segment scrubs fine in the module and you can also set whether you see just the media range or the entire timeline range using the options next to the player controls.

If you need to see the context of your segment with other video tracks above the segment, you need to ensure your focus point is on the top track and you can press SHIFT+F1 to see the context of the tracks.  The only drawback is that the interactive vectorscope disappears in this view.

The other tip which might help is that you can use ALT+COMMAND and press UP arrow or DOWN arrow to navigate all the applied colour warpers in the sequence.   This means that you can stay in the colour warper module and navigate between them.

The last thought I can think of when the colour warper has caused issues in the past is graphic card related or drivers.   Might be worth checking it out.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Grant

Grant Kay
Principal Learning Content Developer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Official Autodesk Flame Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/flamehowtos

The Official Autodesk Smoke Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos

Also available as podcasts on iTunes

Follow me on twitter @discreetuk for the latest training updates.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 6 of 10
oczkowski
in reply to: joelosis

Thanks, Joel; I looked at ScopeBox, but it seems that would require a whole separate computer to run (unless I'm missing something?).  I am still looking for a solution.  (By the way, your tutorials are great!) 

Message 7 of 10
KevinAdams6088

Yes, I'm looking at the absolute cheapest way to do this.  ScopeBox fits that bill but you do need a computer with a video capture device...

Still I think you could put something together that will cost less than Blackmagic Ulstrascope.

Message 8 of 10
ryan
in reply to: KevinAdams6088

Looks like this topic derailed into something else so am re-clarifying the issue...

If you apply a Colour Warper timeline effect, go into the editor and select "Timeline Range" in Options; you will see a graphic representation of your timeline in the timebar GUI, however you will not be able to scrub around to check your color correction against the shots / segments before and after the clip / gap you've applied the Colour Warper to.  Thus, the ability to perform your work in reference to the rest of your edit is broken... whether you apply the Colour Warper to a clip, segment or any track in your timeline.

This may be the case with any other timeline effects purporting to offer a Timeline Range view in their editors, but I haven't checked since color correction is the critical process where I want to grade shots in context to an overall edit.

I know Autodesk is looking into this so hopefully there will be good news soon as this is a big issue in my opinion.

Thanks,

Message 9 of 10
oczkowski
in reply to: ryan

Agreed, this needs to be fixed.
Message 10 of 10
Grant.Kay

Hi Guys,

Unless we are talking about something different, the timeline range and checking the other shots in the sequence does work for colour correction and colour warping.

I suspect that you are looking at the RESULT view with the timeline range and the first frame and last frame of the segment freezes when you go beyond the in and out of the segment (as described by the indicators in the time-bar).

Switch your view to the PRIMARY TRACK view and with the timeline range, you will be able to scrub the entire timeline and see every shot for comparison.  The primary track view see the context of the sequence and focus point whereas the result view now only views the context the TimelineFX result.

This has changed was brought about in 2015 as we redid the entire effects engine in the sequence.   This brought in the TimelineFX with render free previewing and GPU optimizations.   

I can go into more detail about about the Primary Track view and the Result view but if you're after that workflow from 2013 than I am convinced that this is the answer...   I am not by Smoke now but I think the hotkey might be SHIFT+F1 but I stand corrected on that.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Grant

Grant Kay
Principal Learning Content Developer

The Official Autodesk Flame Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/flamehowtos

The Official Autodesk Smoke Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos

Also available as podcasts on iTunes

Follow me on twitter @discreetuk for the latest training updates.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report