Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get past Volume Integrity check?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
ad.lo
1372 Views, 7 Replies

Can't get past Volume Integrity check?

I was out of space on my main media drive so, foolishly thinking that I knew what I was doing, I added a new drive using the Smoke Setup tool.

Now I can't launch Smoke. I get to the Project picker, but after that it either quits immediately or hangs on the VOLUMEMGT: Checking volume integrity screen before eventually giving me the dreaded Autodesk Smoke (not responding) message in the finder.

Any magic solutions?

Should I uninstall and re-install?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
BKM
Advisor
in reply to: ad.lo

When you get to the project selection, are you creating a new project? Or are you loading an exisitng one?
A new Storage volume will not help unless you are creating a new proejct on that volume. All of your other projects are still on the storage where you ran out of space. 

Can you delete any old projects from the first volume?

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
Message 3 of 8
ad.lo
in reply to: BKM

I've tried both - starting a new project or clicking on an existing one. The behavior is the same.

And as far as deleting old projects. Sure, I guess I could, but I'd rather avoid it. I did however delete a bunch of rendered files to free up space on the system & media drive.

I feel like the problem was created when I used the Smoke Setup utility to specify a new Media Drive. It shows up in the utility. Is there a way to delete it?

Thanks for jumping in so quickly. I appreciate it.  

Message 4 of 8
BKM
Advisor

You can delete the new drive by going to Manual Edit on the Setup utility.

Scroll through the text file and find the block of text referencing your drive path.  Simply Comment them out to disbale them.

Add a # in front of the 3 or 4 lines that refer to the drive/path.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
Message 5 of 8
ad.lo
in reply to: BKM

Thanks BKM,

Tried uncommenting out the new drive. It disappeared from the Smoke Utility setup.

But still no luck. I just crash after launching a project after the Volumemgt notice.

This is in the crash log. 

Oct 29 21:21:04 : Error: Invalid class encountered

Oct 29 21:21:04 : smoke(5322,0x1556a6000) malloc: *** error for object 0x7fc4e802d528: incorrect checksum for freed object - object was probably modified after being freed.

Oct 29 21:21:04 : *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

Oct 29 21:21:04 : Application: smoke 2015.0.1 x86_64

Oct 29 21:21:04 : Pid: 5322

Oct 29 21:21:05 : Uninitialising thread manager.

Oct 29 21:21:06 : 

This is just the demo on my home mac so it's not life or death, but I'd love to be able to get it working.

Message 6 of 8
ad.lo

Hi BKM,

One more wrinkle to add.  If I launch the software from the Terminal with the -Z option and bypass VIC it launches fine and everything seems okay.  But as soon as I try to launch Smoke through the alias, it hangs (on VOLUMEMGT: Checking video integrity) and then crashes.

But like I said, I was able to launch with -Z and eveything looks fine. I feel like it's a pemissions issue. I tried to create a new archive to get some stuff of the box but can't seem to do that anywhere but the main user Documents folder.

I'll try repairing permsissions and perhaps wiping the frame store? It's just a training box so there's nothing critical on it.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

I had an issue where I appeared to be hung on VIC, could run fine with a -Z startup. Eventually, I left it running on the VIC in "hung" state at the end of the day, and overnight it got through it, then started normally and has run fine since. It took more than 8 hours to do whatever it was doing.

Message 8 of 8
ad.lo
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks David,

I think my situation was different as the Volumemgt: Checking Video Integrity message would be followed immediately by the spinning beach ball and either a crash to the finder or a application not responding message. So it never seemed as if VIC was actually getting a chance to get rolling.

I ended up wiping my frame store and now all seems good.  Not an ideal solution if I had had anything important on the box, but as I didn't, I'm happy.

Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report