Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't create project

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
moreymichael
1290 Views, 13 Replies

Can't create project

I've got 3 Lacie thunderbolt drives that I cycle through for my projects. I've been using one successfully since switching to Smoke 2015 on a new MP. When I added the other 2 drives to the media list, Smoke will not create new projects on them. They appear on the list. They have ManagedFolders on them. I've been using these drives for 2 years now, so I know they work. They are exactly the same as the drive that works. 

Smoke does not tell me why it won't/can't create the project. I press the "create" button and nothing whatsoever happens. I think I saw this on the forum earlier, but I can't find it.

Cheers, Mike

Late 2013 MacPro, 10.9.5, 2.7 GHz 12-Core, 64GB ram, AMD D700, 1TB SSD
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
BKM
Advisor
in reply to: moreymichael

Here is  thread with the exact same drive and problem.. Seems it was a permission issue that was finally fixed after changing permissions on the drive and a restart.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/General-Discussion/Cant-create-project-with-Lacie-Little-Big-Disk-Thun...

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
Message 3 of 14
moreymichael
in reply to: BKM

See the attachment for the screen grab. Tupac works fine, Biggie no workie. The permissions seem to be fine, unless there is a different permission somewhere else.

Cheers, Mike

Message 4 of 14
Robert.Adam

Hi Mike.

Have you checked Smoke's _app.log and _shell.log (in the /usr/discreet/log/ folder)? There might be more detailed error messages as to why it doesn't want to create the projects.

Even though the permissions appear OK at the mount point level, they might be messed up at the "Autodesk Media Storage" folder level.

Go into the Biggie mount point directory and run:

sudo chmod -R 777 Autodesk\ Media\ Storage

Additionally, you may also right click the Biggie disk icon in finder, select "Get info" from the context menu and enable "ignore ownership on this volume"

Let me know if that helps. Or feel free to open a case with us, since you have subscription.

Regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 5 of 14
moreymichael
in reply to: Robert.Adam

Hi Robert.

I did the 2 steps you mention, to no avail. When I load the Apple disk utility and compare the details between the two drives, it says that Tupak (works) is Owners Enabled, and Biggie (no work) is not. Since I changed permissions in all the different fashions I know of, is there a different setting to Enable Owner?

Cheers, Mike

Message 6 of 14
moreymichael

I found a way to change Enable Owner, and it did no good. As far as I can tell, I've changed permissions everywhere. Then I installed Smoke 2015 on an older MBP 17", which I used extensively with 2012. I have exactly the same problem. It sees BIGGIE in the list, but won't create a project. What I don't understand is why the computer recognized Tupak, which is exactly the same drive. I tried to use my old Pegasus stack, and it also failed. It's going to be very desperate if I can't ever use another drive other than the single one that currently works. 

Cheers, Mike

Message 7 of 14
Robert.Adam

Hi Mike.

Apologies for the delayed reply. If this issue is still ongoing, I advise calling us to have one of my colleagues remote log into your computer and see what's going on.

Regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 8 of 14
moreymichael
in reply to: Robert.Adam

Hi Robert. 

I opened a case last week, but haven't heard from anyone. Perhaps they are trying to call me; I'm not within celular range at the moment, so email is the only way to contact me. I'll contact them when I get home later this week.

Cheers, Mike

Message 9 of 14
moreymichael

AD Techie solved the problem. He had to create folders in /usr/discreet/clip to represent the media drive folders that wouldn't work. Eg: stonefs2, stonefs3, etc. Apparently, Smoke 2015 has some difficulty remembering to do this step. Never would have discovered this one. Thank you Brennan.

Cheers, Mike

Message 10 of 14
moreymichael

As for the playback speed issue, that is ongoing. Hoping AD will have an answer for me at some point.

Cheers, Mike

Message 11 of 14
joshlake

Hey, I am having the same issue, but I don't see any issues in my /usr/discreet/clip folder. I try to click create and nothing happens. I can't seem to fid any cause.

This only started after I added a new Media Storage Drive, it was working fine before.

Message 12 of 14
jamesgrean
in reply to: joshlake

I'm having this issue now. Have created the folders in usr/discreet, checked all permisions, rebooted, still nothing. Trying to migrate a project from one Mac to another, but can't do anything as I can't start a project on the RAID media storage folder.

Message 13 of 14
moreymichael

Hi Jamesgrean.

Did you look at the solution below:

He had to create folders in /usr/discreet/clip to represent the media drive folders that wouldn't work. Eg: stonefs2, stonefs3, etc. Apparently, Smoke 2015 has some difficulty remembering to do this step. 

Look at the directory /usr/discreet/clip. You should see a folder in that directory with the name of your media drive folder...eg: stonefs3. If there is not a directory that matches your drive name/number, create the directory. Then you should be able to create the project.

Cheers, Mike

Message 14 of 14
jamesgrean

HI Mike,

Yes, I did do that, as I said in my post I created the folders in the usr/discreet area as previous commenters have posted.

The solution I discovered, which has worked for me on 2 x nMPs now, is that Smoke doesn't like a stonefs0, which is by default the storage area set up when adding storage media.

The local storage area on a default installation of Smoke2015 is named stonefs7 in the configs, and has the corresponding stonefs7 folder in clib.

When you create a new storage area, it starts numbering them from 0. All installations I have used of 2015 have hated a 0 folder. As soon as I change it to stonefs1 or higher, boom, everything works.

Now how about an SP3 for 2015P with all the fixes that Ryan has just posted in this same forum.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report