Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BACKBURNER FOR SMOKE 2013

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
dembry
1514 Views, 10 Replies

BACKBURNER FOR SMOKE 2013

Hi Everyone!

Hoping to get some confirmation on what appears to be a complicated subject:  using a Backburner render farm with only Mac OS X clients (render servers/nodes) to render Autodesk Smoke 2013.  I'm very familiar with how a render farm works (though we use a Muster-based render farm) but I'm neither a Mac or Smoke user.

I must not be searching for the right string of keywords because this is all I've found thus far (from the Backburner 2011 Install Guid):

Support for Smoke 2010 for Mac OS X

Backburner is now leveraged by the new Autodesk Smoke for Mac OS X application, in both standalone and render-farm deployments. In the standalone deployment, Smoke for Mac OS X uses Backburner for background I/O, including background proxy generation. In the render farm deployment, Smoke 2010 for Mac OS X can submit jobs to a render farm consisting of Burn render nodes installed on Linux workstations.

I take this to mean that Linux-based render nodes using Burn are required in order to submit Smoke projects to a backburner render farm.

Am I correct or am I misreading the statement?  Have there been updates or enhancements to Backburner that extend render farm capabilities to the Mac OS X clients?

Hope to hear from some of you experts out there!

Take care,

Dan

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
BKM
Advisor
in reply to: dembry

Backburner is just the manager for background jobs. 
Yes, you need actual BURN software installed to use them as off-board render machines. And they are Linux only. You can use them with Mac, via backburner, but they install on Linux.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Check out the Premiumbeat Smoke Blog
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/category/smoke-2/
Message 3 of 11
dembry
in reply to: BKM

Thank you for the quick response!

I appreciate your expertise.

Dan

----------------------------------------------------------------------
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original message. Neither the sender nor the company for which he or she works accepts any liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
Message 4 of 11
Robert.Adam

Further to Brian's excellent info: Burn requires a license. The network license of Smoke for Mac includes one license of Burn. The standalone license of Smoke does not include Burn licenses.

Regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 5 of 11
dembry
in reply to: Robert.Adam

True. Regardless, Burn is a Linux-based product right? So in order to send Smoke to a render farm you need Linux workstations with Burn installed, right?

Thanks,
Dan

-----
Sent from my mobile device

----------------------------------------------------------------------
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original message. Neither the sender nor the company for which he or she works accepts any liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
Message 6 of 11
BKM
Advisor

Correct.

Flame/Smoke Editor
Message 7 of 11
eduardsmoke

hi!

I can not open disks from mediahub. 

I'm on the Media tab to import material but let me see the name of the hard drive but does not allow open. But if selleciono archive tab shows me that if this reading the disc and have all the files. So not import me, in the 25 stations that have smoke on mac is the same. please help urgent.

thanks

Message 8 of 11
BKM
Advisor
in reply to: eduardsmoke

Screenshot of the Media Hub?  Also, you are looking at FILES tab?  What files are you trying to open?  can you explore or see any folders on this hard drive?

Flame/Smoke Editor
Message 9 of 11
Robert.Adam
in reply to: BKM

Is it doing this on ALL drives, including the local system drive?

Sounds like a permissions issue.

Is there any info in Smoke's message panel (bottom left)?

thanks,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 10 of 11
eduardsmoke
in reply to: Robert.Adam

Solved, was a bug on the version,
Install the new version 2013 and already fixed.

Thanks for the prompt response

--
Eduard Buitrago Jaime
Message 11 of 11
Robert.Adam
in reply to: eduardsmoke

That's great news. Glad to hear you were able to fix the issue.

Regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report