Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avid to Smoke consolidating files problem

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
301 Views, 4 Replies

Avid to Smoke consolidating files problem

Hi everyone!

I have a little problem, and I ask for you expert help.

Here's the problem:
I'm editing a documentary on avid 6.0 on a Windows 7. I have about 24h of media in XDCAM HD 50i. I'm interested in finishing the editing on a Smoke.

(Notes for your info: I have a Smoke on Linux 2012 sp2, in a isolated workstation and I've been working in AVID with original media using AMA options)

To go on with my editing on Smoke, I have consolidated the sequence, with 50 frames handles, in an external drive, and exported it in AAF.

Then, when I try to import in Smoke this consolidated sequence I can only recover the audio in mxf. The video looks inaccessible. (I have notice that when I made the consolidation on AVID the new files created have a looooooong name).

I have also tried to import the media (import media option) in order to relink afterwards to the sequence but Smoke says “i cannot import this file”.

Then I tried an alternative option: working with media transcoded in DnxHD. In this case Smoke had NO problem to import, BUT I loose quality and I do not want that, I want to work with XDCAM HD files.

Any idea where the problem is? In Avid consolidation? In Smoke import options?

Thank's for all your help
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jaseo
in reply to: Anonymous

Does smoke import the original non-consolidated MXF files?
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Yes, I have tryed and it works, but I have about 24 hours of material and is a hard work to extract from my pc, copy to external hard drive, the copy on a Smoke workstation... About 16hours...
Do you understand...
When I do the consolidate, then the new files had a name like c0001_bcdozmjoiaj45tk45...etc.mxf.
I supose that's the problem. I have made a litle trick exporting all the sequence from "export to device>xdcam" Then the exported file looks like "C0001.mxf" and then I don't have proble to import this file onto smoke, but the I loose my edited sequence. I don't understand why the consolidated file, if had the same codec, isn't not recogniced by Smoke.
Message 4 of 5
jaseo

Yeah, I understand that you can't copy 24hours of material. It was just a test to see what worked.

There is a related thread here -

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/104608/605146.aspx

The long MXF filename is a MC6 bug. Earlier versions of MC even have issues with them. You could try renaming one of these files to see if that works.

If it doesn't, then the issue is on the Smoke side. This is possible as I have seen certain MXF files (not related to codec) that are not able to be read by Smoke. eg. MXFs out of Metafuze and Clipster.

cheers

Jason
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Ok Jason!

I take a look on this link to find some option. I will reply with my results

Thank's for all and best regads

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report