Area :: Header
Now available for Desktop Subscription customers!
Smoke 2015 Extension 1 brings the LUT Editor and Matchbox to the timeline.
Discussion Groups

General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
katana12

Assasins Creed characters

17 Views, 17 Replies
07-07-2007 04:16 PM
Hey people heres some inspirational stuff even if it was sculpted in old zbrush 2
mojette.deviantart.com/gallery/

Ive been watching this guys gallery on deviantart for a while and hes just posted all this great stuff! Just thought Id share it :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
mookiemu

Re: Assasins Creed characters

07-07-2007 04:22 PM in reply to: katana12
holy cow! that guy is amazing! that's for the link, I added it to my bookmarks :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
bjordal91

07-07-2007 04:26 PM in reply to: katana12
wow... thats mad skillz...
Please use plain text.
katana12

07-08-2007 01:58 AM in reply to: katana12
holy cow! that guy is amazing! that's for the link, I added it to my bookmarks :smileyhappy:

No problem, I will be sure to tell u mudboxer's if I find any other good stuff. Ive got a big fat reference art and photography directory building on my computer, great to have when Im sculpting.
Please use plain text.
mookiemu

07-08-2007 02:05 AM in reply to: katana12
i turned my old workstation in a server for my art files. and reference files. Got 2 terabytes storage and I have a gigabit router. I can just bring up my screen via remote desktop.
I'm beginning to build quite a library myself :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
ZippZopp10

07-08-2007 09:41 PM in reply to: katana12
nice link, some cool work over there. thanks for sharing
Please use plain text.
katana12

07-12-2007 01:14 AM in reply to: katana12
Wait theres more!!!

Hes posted up even more characters and busts now. The NPCs are looking really good
Please use plain text.
(anon)

07-12-2007 07:20 AM in reply to: katana12
i turned my old workstation in a server for my art files. and reference files. Got 2 terabytes storage and I have a gigabit router. I can just bring up my screen via remote desktop.
I'm beginning to build quite a library myself :smileyhappy:

I've heard you talking about your system before. What are your specs exactly, it sounds like you have quite a rig there.
(not that any system, no matter how high end is utilised by the current mudbox anyway)
Do you have any of the quadro cards?
Please use plain text.
mookiemu

07-12-2007 07:46 PM in reply to: katana12
I've heard you talking about your system before. What are your specs exactly, it sounds like you have quite a rig there.
(not that any system, no matter how high end is utilised by the current mudbox anyway)
Do you have any of the quadro cards?

Yeah my current system has 64 bit xp pro, a quadro fx 4500 card from pny, core 2 duo, 4 gig corsair ram, 15,000 rpm scsi drive for cache and virtual kubuntu linux, and 10,000 rpm drive for programs and system files, and a 500 gig drive for storage. It's a dual monitor setup, one is the dell 2407 24" lcd and an LG 20". (When Mudbox 2 comes out, I'll probably upgrade the proc to a quad core and add another 4 gig ram). I have it networked to my older two workstations via gigabit router. So when I bring up one of the other computers via remote desktop, it feels as if it's one computer.

The second networked computers is what I use for back-up and storage. It's got 2 gig ram, core 2 duo, and 2 terabytes storage with windows 32bit xp pro. I use this for reference files and old work.

The third, my oldest computer has 1 gig ram, athlon 64 proc, three 300 gig drives and its a dual boot between kubuntu, and freebsd., used to be tri-boot, but I broke fedora core 6 and I'm too lazy to reinstall it because I love kubuntu. I use this computer partly as another back-up option for my most important files and for playing around with oss. I really would like to be more proficient with linux-unix variants.

Then I have an apple powerbook I use for bookkeeping, traveling and business.
I also have generic athlon 64bit laptop that I put together from a kit, for when I gotta take my work with me, and a crappy tablet pc that I never use because it's so slow it's painful. I'm really sad about that one because the idea was to take a life drawing group at the society of illustrators and use mudbox or photoshop instead of traditional materials. But it's too slow to be of use.

I really like building my own and tinkering with computers. I don't really think that the quadro was worth it. Maya seems to be a lot more stable with it, and I can feel a difference, but I don't know if it's enough to justify the cost.
In hind site, I probably should have spent the money on getting a motherboard with dual quad-core xeon processors, because just about every program that I use is multi-threaded. Or I probably should have spent the money on renderman cause mental ray is too finicky.
Please use plain text.
(anon)

07-13-2007 01:22 AM in reply to: katana12
I'm currently building my new rig and was pondering whether to go with a 8800GTX, which is currently the best multimedia card, or get one of the quadros.
THE problem is that the quadros come in at different price points, and the top ones are VERY expensive, but I imagine it works like gaming cards, in that only the top ones are much good, and the cheap stuff is mediocre at best.
Therefore, I decided it makes more sense to get the top gaming card than get a low to mid range quadro card.
The fact that you're not sure if the cost of the quadro was justified, even for the very expensive and best one, is as good an answer as I need :smileyhappy:
I've already got my monitor (same as your 24") BTW, I'm sure you've calibrated it properly by now, but when you first used it did you notice the reds were too strong. I've had to turn the red down to 80% to make things look what I consider normal.
I'm going with intel quad core, which will be great for render speeds, 8 gigs of mid range ram, which again, I think is better than buying 2 gigs of faster top end RAM. The difference in speeds is not that great, but the difference between having 8 or 2 gig storage capacity is a lot.
I'm also going to get two of the WD 10k drives (the 74 gig ones, which are currently the fastest) and hook them together. I know a guy who has that, and the benchmark is superfast compared to my single 7200 drive. We're talking 10x performance.
Obviosuly I'm ogign to have to get either XP or Vista 64, and again I'm not sure which, sicne there are pros and cons for both.
XP is obviously dead in the water now, but Vista still has a lot of compatibility issues with drivers and hardware, and some have problems running quicktime movies with a RAID setup in Vista.
Please use plain text.